Through specific exercises, our goal is to explore typographic variables and hierarchy in order to best communicate the content
Part 1 :
For the first part of the project, we focused on exploring hierarchy through stroke weights, linespacing, and flush-left margins.
While I was working, I ended up wanting to focus more on the student playwrights themselves over the play names since they seem more important — especially to catch the eyes of parents and other students.
While we were assigned Univers or Frutiger, my class ended up using Acumin Pro since the other fonts are not available to us.
Stroke weights :
Since there was no way to ‘separate’ the blocks of text from one another, I had to depend on using different stroke weights to represent what I wanted to be either primary or secondary information.
Linespacing was a bit more difficult than the stroke weight, since the only way to really make one specific line stand out more from the rest of the text would be to let it stand alone, otherwise it will only be part of a chunk. I felt this part of the exercise helped me to determine and chunk what text I felt should be together.
Two Flush-Left Margins :
This exercise was similar to line spacing in the sense that I could ‘chunk’ the text together using unified flush-left margins. Whenever I ‘zigzagged’ the flush-left margins, it ended up becoming difficult to understand; whereas whenever I pushed in groups of information, the text became visually understandable as to where the main information was compared to the secondary information.
Three Flush-Left Margins :
Just like the Two Flush-Left Margins, whenever I heavily ‘zigzagged’ the information, the text ended up not working. However, with the Three Flush-Left Margins, it helped me further push back on the ‘chunks’ of what I felt was tertiary information.
Part 2 :
For the second part of the project, we continued our exercises into color and were given more creative flexibility to change position, the order of the text, and the point size of the text to emphasize hierarchical differences.
Color (of type) :
Color (behind type) :
After playing with color, we experimented with changing the scale of the content depending on different values in hierarchy. With this we also play around with the positioning of the content. What I enjoyed about this part was that I pushed myself to try strange layouts that I wouldn’t normally use, and I ended up surprising myself with a few that I ended up liking a lot.
Size Change and Stroke Weights :
Further Color Study (after critiques) :
After playing around with both scale and color, we were told to play around with imagery. The allowed us to have the content work with an image, creating a more dynamic piece. For the Young Playwrights Festival, my mind immediately went to “theater”, like Shakespeare and curtains.
Adding Images (and further studies of color) :
Playing with Color and Images (after critique) :
After the critique, I was told that since this was a Young Playwrights Festival, the poster should emanate the youthfulness of upcoming playwrights. So I went towards creating bright and lighthearted posters. And to further explore youthfulness, I experimented with watercolor as well as trying to make the type look more playful.
The biggest problem I ended up running into was that I was so set on one photo with curtains in it that I didn’t look further to find anything else that might have emanated a look of inspiring youth better than it.
Moving onto Tabloid Paper:
Once I found a few more images to work with, I decided on the image of a young girl looking forward with her back facing the camera—as if she was looking towards a bright future—was the best image to represent the young playwrights festival.
Since I so thoroughly enjoyed this project, I decided to create one more poster that depended more on color than imagery. I also really wanted to incorporate an illustration that I could make for a poster since I felt the last lacked a personal touch.