People Will Die.
The GOP is being sneaky about the AHCA. And that’s scary,
- States would have the ability to choose which conditions are covered and which aren’t, and deny general coverage for people with preexisting conditions, even though Paul Ryan denies that. A high risk pool is not adequate healthcare coverage.
- Cost of premiums could go from 5–10% of income to up to 37% of income for some individuals and families.
- Remove subsidies offered by ACA and replace with age-dependent tax credits.
- Said tax credits cannot be used on plans that cover abortion care, even if that person never gets an abortion (or even has a uterus).
- Impose late enrollment penalty for people who don’t stay continuously covered.
- Repeal funding of the Prevention and Public Health Fund which provides prevention grants for Alzheimer’s, diabetes, infections, heart disease, youth suicide, and grants to better understand health and racial/ethnic/socio-economic indicators.
- A report from the Commonwealth Fund and George Washington University found that the AHCA will cause the loss of about 1,000,000 jobs.
- The senate bill is being drafted and worked by a committee with no women.
- State legislators (not doctors) may re-define what are considered essential health benefits to be covered, meaning what state you’re in defines your healthcare access.
- Prohibit federal Medicaid funding for Planned Parenthood clinics for any service for one year. Even though Medicaid already does not cover abortions. So this just restricts access to preventive and reproductive care.
- No tax penalties for companies that do not offer health benefits.
People will die under the AHCA.