Everything You Need to Know About Eating With Braces
Braces can be annoying, but they help you get that perfect smile. One of the many reasons they make life difficult is that they bring many restrictions on the types of foods you can eat.
This article will help you understand why these restrictions are necessary and also which foods you can and cannot eat to protect your braces as well as your precious pearly whites.
Why You Need to Be Careful About Your Food Choices?
If you are wearing braces, you should be careful with your food choices mainly because eating with braces increases the risk of damage to your teeth and the structure of the braces.
Foods which are sticky, chewy, gooey, hard or extremely cold can not only harm your teeth but also the structure of your braces. For instance, eating hard foods can pull away the wires and brackets which can not only cause immense pain, but also prolong the process of teeth straightening. Sticky and chewy foods have a tendency to get lodged between your teeth. If braces are involved, it means more opportunities for such foods to get stuck in spaces in and around the braces apart from in between your teeth. As a result, your teeth become more prone to cavities.
Which Foods Should You Definitely Avoid?
Here’s a list of foods which you should definitely avoid if you are wearing braces. These foods pose a greater risk of cavities and are more likely to damage the wires and brackets of the braces.
- Chewy or hard candy such as caramel, gummy bears or taffy
- Sticky or chunky peanut butter
- Corn chips or other hard chips
- Crunchy biscuits
- Hard taco shells
Which Foods Need to Be Eaten With Caution?
- Firm fruits like apple need to be either broken down into small pieces or baked to a softer consistency
- Hard-breads such as rolls and chewy breads such as bagels which should be cut into small pieces
- Raw veggies such as cucumber or carrots. These should be cut into bite-sized pieces and should not be chewed with your front teeth
- Light chips should be eaten carefully, one at a time
Which Foods Can Be Considered as Braces-Friendly Foods?
While there are a lot of food don’ts if you wear braces, you need not get discouraged. There are plenty of options for braces-friendly foods also. Here are some such foods:
- Completely cooked rice and beans
- Noodle dishes such as macaroni and cheese, spaghetti and any other pasta
- Fishes without bones
- Soft fruits such as melon, kiwi, grapes, banana
- Soft-cooked meats such as chicken, meatballs, tender turkey
- Steamed veggies
- Soft Cheeses
- Soft breads
You just need to think creatively and eat mindfully to ensure that your food choices do not damage your teeth or the braces. Here are some healthy and delicious meal ideas:
- Breakfast — Power-packed smoothie with your favorite fruits and veggies blended together and scrambled eggs
- Lunch — Soup with lots of boiled vegetables, egg avocado salad and well-cooked meat such as boneless chicken breast grilled to perfection
- Snacks — Two cubes of soft cheese or baked fruit
- Dinner — Mashed potatoes and gravy or any pasta of your choice
An important thing to remember is to not fall for the ice cream trap. Eating soft food does not mean indulging in unhealthy food. There are plenty of braces-friendly foods which are healthy, filling and nutritious. You just need to get your chef’s cap on and get the creative juices flowing for more such delicious braces-friendly food ideas.
If you would like to learn more about the do’s and don’ts of eating with braces, get in touch with Thurman Orthodontics in Fresno, CA. Their talented team has years of expertise in orthodontic treatment and can help you understand everything related to braces and a perfect smile.