F*ckboy: The internet’s favourite new insult
“A fuckboy is a young man who sleeps with women without any intention of having a relationship with them or perhaps even walking them to the door post-sex. He’s a womaniser, an especially callous one, as well as kind of a loser”
What is a fuckboy?
The term fuckboy (fuckboi or fuccboi) is becoming used more and more amongst society, especially young adults.
According to urban dictionary a fuckboy is “a person who is a weak ass pussy that ain’t bout shit”. This definition was posted over 10 years ago and insults a man’s masculinity. But the term has dramatically changed since then, with an updated explanation posted in 2014, describing a fuckboy as someone who “relies on his mom but doesn’t respect women” and “looks like he just read one of Jaden Smith’s tweets in all of his selfies”
“Gregory mad cause u didn’t blow him after the first date so he’s a fuckboy”
The term is similar to the slur ‘man whore’, but ‘man whore’ targets a male’s sexual promiscuity, whilst ‘fuckboy’ insults a male’s character.
Are you dating a fuckboy?
Some characteristics of a fuckboy include
- Always asking for nudes — fuckboys crave female attention to feed their ego. One will pester you for nude pictures and will complain when you decline their request.
- Will call or message you from the times of 3am-6am to “hangout” — this is basically code “let’s bang” and should not be confused with them genuinely wanting to hang out with you.
- Will only hang out with you when it suits them — a fuckboy will only hang out with you when they want to, they will never agree to plans when you organize them but will expect you to drop everything when they want to make plans.
- Has multiple selfies on social media — they are in love with themselves. They care about their appearance a lot and post photos on Facebook and Instagram in an attempt to attract female attention.
- Doesn’t believe in relationships —they are never willing to commit. Although he may seem interested, he has no intentions of a relationship - only messing with your emotions. Without commitment it makes it easier for him to break things off, justifying his actions by saying “we weren’t even together”
- He asks if you want to come over for ‘Netflix and chill’ — this is a classic fuckboy line, used to get girls over to their house. Basically a booty call in disguise.
Fuckboys are devious and deceptive and a girl should be aware of these signs to avoid falling victim to one.
Obviously not all fuckboys display these characteristics. A Buzzfeed article further explains how to spot a one and the different breeds of fuckboys.
Where did the term come from?
The actual origins of the term are unknown, but it has been known to have been used as early as 2002.
For some people, the word has homophobic connotations, meaning someone who engages in homosexual activity for money, but over the years the term has taken on a new definition.
The slur has become more and more popular in hiphop since then with artists such as Papa Duck and Tanika.
The rise of social media has made being a fuckboy much easier. Social media gives them a platform to communicate with females without physical contact. This also allows them to communicate with multiple girls at the one time without one another knowing. Some forms of social media include Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Tinder.
Facebook and Instagram are used by fuckboys to like female’s pictures. This demonstrates an interest for them without direct communication. They may do this for months before actually speaking to the girl or may even do this after things have ended in an attempt to mess with the girl’s head.
Snapchat is a fuckboys preferred use of communication. This may be because there is no trace of the two conversing. Snapchat also allows males to send and receive nude photos. Sending and receiving nudes is common amongst fuckboys.
Tinder allows people to find potential partners. In the case of a fuckboy, one would use tinder to meet new girls and try to chat them up. Tinder is often used purely for finding sexual partners, often by using cheesy pickup lines.
The Fuckboy Files is a blog that posts classic fuckboy examples.
Many movies involve characters who display features of a fuckboy. A well-known character who demonstrates this is Danny Zuko from ‘Grease’. At the beginning of the film Danny acts differently around Sandy and ignores her when he’s around his friend. This demonstrates classic fuckboy behaviour.
Some songs have lyrics that describe fuckboy behaviour, a good example of this is The Weeknd’s ‘The Hills’, where the chorus states “I only call you when it’s half past five/The only time I’d ever call you mine” and “I just fucked two bitches ‘fore I saw you”. These lyrics show how a one might mistreat a girl.
Many celebrities have been labelled the term. A good example of a celebrity that could be called this is John Mayer. John Mayer has been called a ‘player’ and ‘dougebag’ for his promiscuity towards women, very public breakups and indecisiveness when it comes to commitment. Dating stars such as Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and Jennifer Aniston.
ATTENTION MALE READERS
The fuckboy population is increasing and it’s important that females are aware of how to spot one and how to avoid one. It’s also important that males themselves don’t become a fuckboy. Here, you can do a quiz to find out if you are a one, help decrease the amount of broken-hearted girls and help dating become a much easier and less emotion damaging process.