Week 1 — The Planning Phase
This post is part of a month-long project where I set out to get real-world copywriting experience to add to my portfolio. I also dissected a successful email campaign and used what I learned to make my own email mockups and created a brand guide to grow my marketing/operations skills. You can check out my landing page here.
For this month-long project of my choice, I really wanted to get some real-world experience under my belt. I had limited time — if I didn’t find a job in the first week, I’d have to come up with a new project. So I reached out to the community of Praxis, and offered to take on any copywriting projects for free. And thankfully, an Alumni working for an investment company called Evernest reached out to me and scheduled a meeting. I officially had a gig!
I decided for my project that I wanted to hone my copywriting skills, with the addition of marketing and operations.
Right off the bat, as an emphasis to my project, I wanted to read “Ogilvy on Advertising”, as I’ve heard from marketers that this is “the book” to read. I thought I would challenge myself to 30 days of blogging, but realized that a more pointed approach would be better. So instead I decided to write a number of blogs specific to marketing and operations.
To finish out, creating a brand bible and doing a deep-dive into a marketing campaign filled out the following two weeks. The brand Bible is a way to practice the operations side of marketing, and re-engineering successful marketing campaigns and creating my own mockups is a way to hone in my marketing/copywriting skills.
I created an outline that I eventually downsized into a realistic project, something like this:
Week 1: Prep work + begin reading Ogilvy
Week 2: Email sequence for Evernest
Week 3: Brand Bible (company was tbd)
Week 4: Email campaign re-engineering + mockups
By the end I would have one completed, real-world email sequence, one Brand Bible, and 1–3 mockups for an email campaign.
I ranked each week by the priority of the task, in case my time estimations were off and I had to readjust.
Since I didn’t know how long each project would take, I formulated my plan to be as realistic-sounding as possible. I have a habit of biting off more than I can chew, and since this project is all my own design, I needed a firm plan that still had room for flexibility.
Since there were other projects I wished I could have included, I made a list of “overflow” list Incase the projects took less time than I thought:
Create the email mockups in MailChimp + add video documentation on how to use
Create a video on how to use Zappier.
My next step was to plan all of this out in my management software of choice, which was Trello:
Each card under will be moved to my daily layout so I can view what the week will look like on a day-by-day basis. I know full well that it is subject to change and will be revisited, but I have the foundation of what I’m solid in planning to accomplish. All else added will be when I’m in the thick of it and actually experiencing all of the variables.
My top priorities for week 2 are:
- Getting the Evernest email sequence out as soon as possible without sacrificing quality
- Document each tech tool and my email sequence research thoroughly
- Stay on track with my Ogilvy on Advertising reading schedule