News from mobile world — 01.08.2016 week
Starting with this post, I will be summarizing the articles I find interesting on the mobile technology world on a weekly basis. I have highlighted the company names and made the product names italic. Here we go! :)
- Facebook came up with a copycat of Snapchat: Instagram Stories. You can find detailed information on how to use this feature at http://mashable.com/2016/08/02/instagram-stories-how-to/. I find this as a precaution to get back the teenagers migrating to Snapchat mainly in the States. This is an expected attack because Facebook has acquired http://msqrd.me/ lately. Afterwards, Instagram CEO has given all credit to Snapchat https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/02/silicon-copy/. Find Snapchat employee reactions to Instagram Stories in here http://www.businessinsider.com/snapchat-employee-reacted-to-similiarities-of-instagram-stories-2016-8. In an article at The Next Web, it is said that Instagram has the killer feature of “sense of community” which Snapchat does not have http://thenextweb.com/opinion/2016/08/03/everyone-says-instagram-stories-copied-snapchat-but-its-got-a-killer-feature/.
- Apple has release beta 4 package for iOS 10 and it not a release we are accustomed to, this contains 100 redesigned/new emojis. You can check them from https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/01/apple-drops-a-new-ios-10-beta-with-a-hundred-new-emoji/. Find other new features of iOS 10 beta 4 in this link http://9to5mac.com/2016/08/01/ios-10-beta-4/.
- Medium announced that it has acquired Embed.ly to support publishers with backend APIs for embedding content, Medium is planning to increase its analytics power. https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/02/medium-naps-embedly-to-add-to-its-list-of-publisher-tools/
- Snapchat is working on a feature to let users scan an image or barcode on a poster or a website and then get a special deal regarding a product. https://www.theinformation.com/snapchat-explores-new-scannable-ads
- Successor mobile device for Galaxy Note 5, namely Galaxy Note 7 is introduced by Samsung. Most prominent features are iris scanner to unlock the screen, being total waterproof, having a new stylus. Check all of the features at http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7-photos-2016-8.
- For several weeks we have been having Pokemon Go hype and everyday we come across a few articles regarding this app. One guy has put a video displaying that he has hacked Tesla S car to pay Pokemon Go http://mashable.com/2016/08/02/tesla-pokemon-go-hack. Whereas in Australia, local authorities have asked for a few Pokestops to be removed http://mashable.com/2016/08/01/pokemon-go-disappearing-pokestops. Furthermore, Niantic (the creator of this app and an earlier base app called Ingress) has made some modifications like disabling the 3-step indicator and has sent cease-and-desist letters to third party tracking services https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/02/niantic-explains-why-it-killed-third-party-pokemon-go-tracking-services/. Furthermore, the firm is onto updating the app often and fixing the glitches similar to missing out XP http://www.businessinsider.com/pokemon-go-niantic-fixing-capture-rate-glitch-2016-8. At the moment, Pokemon Go has achieved a $160M global revenue and at U.S. people are playing it 26 minutes in daily average https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/02/pokemon-go-tops-160m-in-global-revenue-time-spent-in-app-remains-high/. Pokemon GO CEO has stated that they are planning to come up with a “Plus” app where users will not be able to stare at their mobile devices all the time. http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/02/pokemon-go-boss-john-hanke-doesnt-want-people-to-stare-at-their-phones-either/
- Food Ink has conducted the world premier of World’s first 3D printing restaurant where not only food but everything including the chairs were printed http://foodink.io/.
- Emirates have cooperated with blippar to add augmented reality feature into their mobile app so once their amenity kit is scanned it turns into a jukebox, coloring book and in flight notification screen https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=KoE87lN0KTg.
- Linkedin has added a new feature of receiving short video onto your feed featuring the influencers you follow. http://thenextweb.com/apps/2016/08/03/linkedin-is-introducing-qa-videos-from-influencers-into-your-feed/
- As of August 1, Android Marshmallow which was released on October 2015 has reached a distribution level of 15%. http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/02/android-marshmallow-adoption-passes-15-after-10-months/
- Hackers uncovered 15 million Iranian Telegram users’ phone numbers and IDs. Although the owners of this claim, Collin Anderson and Claudio Guarnieri, stated that the breach is a big one the company has said in a blog post that only the information of a user being registered or unregistered to Telegram is cracked. http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/08/03/hackers-uncover-15m-iranian-telegram-users-phone-numbers-and-ids-in-major-breach/
- Singapore-based Grab plans to raise approximately $1 billion from investors to fight with Uber. Check the news at http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-rival-grab-raising-1-billion-2016-8.
- I have seen many examples of chatbot through Facebook Messenger since it has been introduced at F8 this year. Trulia bot is a new one where you put in the area you want to live in, the price range and the square foot to live in and you get 10 most recent search results. http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/04/trulia-facebook-messenger-bot-lets-people-search-for-apartment-rentals/
- Dropbox has launched iOS and Android versions of its document editting app Paper to fight with Salesforce and Google more. https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/03/dropbox-launches-an-iphone-and-android-version-of-its-document-editing-app-paper/
- Forbes report states that Apple might unveil wireless earbuds which also makes sense with leaked Apple 7 photos without headphone jack. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/08/04/apple-wireless-earbuds-low-power/
- Apple announced a new bug bounty program where it will pay in between $25K to $200K for exploits. At the moment the program is intivation only. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/08/04/apple-new-bug-bounty-program/