Every Thursday I head down to my local pub — the Saint George’s Inn, in Kemptown, Brighton, fact fans - and at 8pm I start shouting, randomly at a collected group of strangers.
This isn’t the act of a sociopath, or because I’m an abusive drunk, it’s because I run the pub quiz there.
The pub quiz is something of an institution in British pubs and along with colonialism, a Judicial system and train network, something we have successfully exported around the world.
Whilst I don’t believe I am reinventing the wheel I do like to think I bring my own, loud and sweary, take on it. People seem to like it and come back to and again and the new faces, whilst starting out bemused, tend to leave satisfied. And because I have nothing more to say about it right now, how about a just leave the quiz I’m going to do in about half an hour here, for you. See how you fair and if it helps, imagine a large Englishman bellowing the following questions at you…
1. What caused a delay to the start of the Brighton Pride Parade this weekend?
2. Cilla Black died this week, but what name was she actually born with?
3. A food supplement is to be added cow feed which reduces flatulence is hoped will also reduce what?
4. An inflatable what, caused traffic chaos in Dublin this week?
5. The Dutch army are not much of a force to be reckoned with, as they have run out of what?
6. A man is suing his new wife for fraud after, what?
7. Who topped the Forbes list of highest paid actors it was announced this week?
8. What was the name of the Project that was responsible for the Hiroshima atomic explosion that occurred 70 years ago today!
9. Today in 1996, George R.R. Martin published "A Game of Thrones" the first book in which series of novels?
0. Who is Number 1 in the UK Singles chart this week?
1. In the board game ‘Operation’, which item was extracted from the throat area?
2. Who did John Hinckley, Jr attempt to assassinate in 1981?
3. Who wrote the classic novel "Around the World in Eighty Days"?
4. In Formula One, what colour flag is shown, along with the car number, to indicate to a driver that they must pull into the pits immediately, usually because they have been disqualified?
5. Who succeeded Peter Davison as Doctor Who in 1984, becoming the sixth to play the role?
6. Of which US state is Santa Fe the capital?
7. How old was Freddie Mercury when he died, 45 / 50 / 55?
8. Name the song, the following lyrics come from: “You both kicked of your shoes, man I dig those rhythm and blues.”?
9. What is the most common surname in the UK?
0. Name the film from the following anagrams of their titles... a) Dear God Man b) Clandestine Sex c) Cow Herpes
1. "Draw cards to see how far you get to move one of your pawns on the board. If you land on a Slide you can zip to the end and bump your opponents' pawns - or your own! Jump over pawns, hide in your Safety zone, and get powers with the 2 power-up tokens. Keep on moving and bumping until you get all three of your pawns from your colour Start to your colour Home. But watch out, because if you get bumped, it’s all the way back to Start!" Instructions for what board game?
2. American serial killer, Richard Ramirez was known by what nickname?
3. Who wrote the classic novel "East of Eden"?
4. At which racecourse is the Scottish Grand National held?
5. What is the name of the "bad guys" in the classic Sci-Fi show, "Battlestar Galactica"?
6. Of which US state is Carson City the capital?
7. How old was James Dean when he died, 24 / 26 / 28?
8. Name the song, the following lyrics come from: "I can’t stand it I know you planned it, I’m gonna set it straight, this Watergate"?
9. Martin, is the most common surname in which European country?
0. How many seconds are there in a fortnight?