The Power Of Self Education
As soon as we were brought into this world we have been programmed to think I certain way when it comes to our growth, development and education. Starting as children we have been told by our parents, family, friends, and teachers to go to school (I.E. elementary, middle school, high school, college, graduate school) get good grades, and go out and find a job in the real world. Does this sound familiar?
Now by no means am I telling you that education, or what others have taught us, is not important. I am a college graduate from a major university, with a sociology degree myself. However, through my experiences, I have realized that there are many skills and tools we can implement into our own lives that does not come by way of formal education.
We all have learned through formal education growing up. English, math, science, history, geography are all topics we are taught in school. Formal education is what I like to call it. An education that everyone is learning, all over the world.
However, what we are not taught through formal education is key skills like:
- How to manage a business (both physical and online businesses)
- How to leverage digital marketing to grow and scale a business
- How to become an entrepreneur
- How to make income outside of the normal way of living (9–5 jobs for example)
- How many and cash flow work
- How to be your own boss
- How to never give up
- How to understand that failing is ok. It’s actually a good thing
- Who you know is often times more important than what you know
One of my favorite quotes comes from a mentor I have followed for many years now, who is an expert on this very topic:
“Formal education will make you a living; Self-education will make you a fortune.” ~ Jim Rohn
Unfortunately the school system does not prepare you to become an entrepreneur. The only way to do so is by getting your hands dirty, experimenting, and getting in the trenches, learning and educating yourself.
My advise and the way I started with self education was through reading books. Not your average school books, but specifically books on personal development, self-growth, motivation and business management.
Here are some of my personal recommendations:
- Succeed And Grow Rich Through Persuasion ~By Napoleon Hill
- The Power of Positive Thinking ~By Norman Vincent Peale
- The 4-Hour Work Week ~By Timothy Ferriss
- Cashflow Quadrant ~By Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Millionaire Success Habits ~By Dean Graziosi
Please make sure to recommend, like or share this post if you found value in it. For more about me please feel free to read my featured article in The Huffington Post www.bit.ly/MyHuffPostFeature
Also, please feel free to connect with me on my social media outlets: