12 Questions Your Contractor Needs to Answer BEFORE Contract Signing
So you have big plans for home improvements in 2018? Join the club! If you’re overwhelmed at the thought of doing it yourself, hiring a contractor is a great way to get the job done.
However, you need to do your due diligence, because not all contractors are worth the cost — and in fact, can cost you even more money if they do the job wrong. Before hiring someone to work in your home, be sure you ask these questions (compiled from Angie’s List, plus a few of my own):
- Are you a licensed contractor?
- Do you carry general liability insurance?
- Do you carry workers compensation insurance?
- What type of guarantees do you provide?
- How does the process work from beginning to end?
- Who will be completing the work?
- Can you provide references?
- What kind of communication and documentation will you provide?
- Will permits be pulled as required?
- Do you belong to any professional organizations?
- How long will the job take? What happens if the time is exceeded?
- How are payments structured?
A good contractor should be able to tell you the answers to these questions and will be more than happy to put all relevant information in the contract. (Remember that nothing is official unless it’s documented and signed!)
Do you have any other suggestions for what questions to ask your contractor before you sign a contract?