EuroIA 2017: Välkommen in Stockholm
EuroIA summit is Europe’s leading Information Architecture (IA) and User Experience (UX) conference. That you probably know by now. Organized every year in September in a different European city, EuroIA has travelled through Europe over the years: Brussels, Barcelona, Rome, Berlin, Paris, Prague, and twice in Amsterdam. This year in Sweden’s capital, and the most populous city in the Nordic countries: Stockholm.
During 13th edition of the IA summit, the programme is packed with inspiring keynotes, talks and workshops. You probably have little extra time to spend in the city. And in order to make that time well spent, we asked a local friend in Stockholm for some in depth advice.
As good information architects, we categorized these tips into three groups:
- Floating Points
- Kanelbulle & Other Food Related Sites
- C is for Culture
Stockholm is part of a large archipel that includes no less than 20.000 islands, surrounded by lots of water. So, besides strolling by the water, you might want to take a dip in the water.
Two dipping options. One is on the island Söder:
- Långholmsmuren 21, 117 33 Stockholm [ Google Maps ]
- 08–508 122 05
The other swimming spot is on Kungsholmen:
- Smedsuddsvägen, 112 35 Stockholm [ Google Maps ]
- 08–508 090 00
When it’s too cold to swim and you have some more time, you could take the boot to Grinda. It’ll take you there in about 90 minutes, have lunch there and return.
Check the timetable of the Cinderella boats that will take you there.
And when you get there have lunch at:
- 184 97 Ljusterö [ Google Maps ]
- 08–542 494 91
Kanelbulle & Other Food Related Sites
Kanelbulle is the Swedish name for the cinnamon roll and Sweden is supposed to be the country of its presumed origin. Café Saturnus apparently serves the best in town:
- Café Saturnus
- Eriksbergsgatan 6, 114 30 Stockholm [ Google Maps ]
- 08–611 77 00
The islands Kungsholmen and Söder are both pretty close to the EuroIA venue and worth visiting.
On Kungsholmen you could visit Mälarpaviljongen, it’s a Summer only cafe on a floating pontoon:
- Norr Mälarstrand 64, 112 35 Stockholm [ Google Maps ]
- 08–650 87 01
And on Söder there’s also a sweet spot near the water called Loopen:
- Hornstulls strand 6, 117 39 Stockholm [ Google Maps ]
- 08–84 42 85
When on Söder, make sure to visit the neighborhoods Hornstul and Nytorget.
There is a restaurant in Hornstul called Cantina Real:
- Cantina Real
- Lindvallsgatan 11–13, 117 36 Stockholm [ Google Maps ]
- 08–720 79 13
And a restaurant in Nytorget called Vina:
- Sofiagatan 1, 116 40 Stockholm [ Google Maps ]
- 070–406 66 26
C is for Culture
If you want to visit one museum, make sure it’s Magasin III. That’s at least what our guide told us. You can eat there as well by the way.
- Magasin III — Museum for contemporary artworks with an on-site library & casual dining.
- Frihamnen, Frihamnsgatan 28, 115 56 Stockholm [ Google Maps ]
- 08–545 680 40
You can also combine drinks and art at the Moderna Museet:
- Moderna Museet — Prominent 20th-century & contemporary art collections on show in museum, plus photographic exhibits.
- Exercisplan 4, 111 49 Stockholm [ Google Maps ]
- 08–520 235 00
Or combine modern art with a short boot ride, called Artipelag:
- Artipelag — Contemporary cultural center, including photography & art installations, with waterside dining.
- Artipelagstigen 1, 134 60 Gustavsberg [ Google Maps ]
- 08–570 130 00
Södra Teatern is located in a ornate 19th-century theater and it has live bands (rock, indie & jazz) plus live DJ club nights:
- Södra Teatern
- Mosebacke Torg 1, 116 46 Stockholm [ Google Maps ]
- 08–531 994 90
Trädgården — located under the bridge, place to have some drinks, and — at night — do a little dance:
- Hammarby Slussväg 2, 118 60 Stockholm [ Google Maps ]
- 08–644 20 23
Enjoy your stay in Stockholm!
When you commute from one place to another make sure to fill your head space with some music from Spotify’s Stockholm playlist. It’s Spotify’s hometown in the end.
And in cause of doubt, contact us via Twitter.
Thank you MB, for sharing your lovely tips with us!
EuroIA 2017 Stockholm on Google Maps
Finally, we’ve created a Google Maps with all these tips, for your convenience ;)