Our perceived biggest weakness is our biggest advantage
The last few years have been funny, I show other entrepreneurs and investors our product and they LOVE it, without blowing my own horn it is classy!
When I tell them I’m working with developers outside of the UK their faces turn white with fear. I hear words like:
Even my current early stage investors said these exact words, until I changed their mind on outside developers.
Here are 5 things that make it a distinct advantage over startups that employ developers locally.
- Access to the best developers, hiring locally your stuck with a small pool of talent that is currently available. I started the business from a small town in Wales where there was no talent locally.
- Cost of hiring remote is much cheaper and often higher quality (in general)
- Flexible, I have moved several times around the UK and am now in London. If I had hired developers in Wales I would be stuck there.
- With outside developers usually working on hourly schedules you can scale them up and down whenever budgets are tight (or not). If you hired a developer but ran out of money you would have to make him redundant.
- Employees often leave for better jobs, this is a huge problem.
But lets be clear, there can be downsides also….
- Freelancers could make some spaghetti code and you wouldn’t know (This can happen with local developers too so be careful)
- They can steal the code (Local developers could do the same thing but you have backup from the law in the same country)
- They might just work for someone else and leave your project (This is quite common but not so much as they rely on great reviews on their portfolio)
- Language issues can be an issue but it depends on how clear you are and what you need done
As you can see we have a HUGE advantage (in my eyes) while a lot of people think it’s a huge disadvantage and a liability.
What’s your opinion?