Evan Nelsen’s 2016 Goals
Hello, my name is Evan and the 2016 year is almost to an end. Jack Canfield recently did a similar blog post about his 101 goals. You can check that out here: http://jackcanfield.com/my-101-lifetime-goals-list-and-why-you-should-have-one-too/.
I recently earned my Eagle Scout rank in Boy Scouts, and at my Eagle Board of Review they asked me a lot of questions about my future plans.
When I was six years old, I wanted to do something involved with animals. I believed and still believe that animals are the key to me having a fulfilled life. So, if you look at my goals, you will notice that the majority of my goals are animal conservation related. That’s just who I am.
Now, since this is my first blog, let me tell you about my 2016 goals and how I achieved, or did not achieve them.
My goals for 2016 were a little bit wacky as I came up with them after I got away from my battle against depression and anxiety. This was a very scary point in my life. However, I will not tell you about that in any detail. I’m currently writing a book about it that will be published within 2017.
So, here are my 2016 goals:
- Complete and achieve all aspects to become an Eagle Scout by November 2016. Goal was completed 10/05/2016 (note fabulous photo below of that day)
- Start a 501c3 nonprofit by December 2016 to protect endangered species of mussels. Although, I did not/will not complete this within the timeframe I did not realize it would cost upwards of $800 to get 501c3 status. I instead decided to apply for a grant, called the Explorers Club Grant for high school students which I will tell you more about in future blogs. Thank you Mr. Chris Ripken (https://twitter.com/zeteo_arete) for your help in this effort.
- Get off my braces, which I have had since the 5th grade (I’m in 11th now), by October 2016. I’m on track for this one; I will have them off in a week!
- Get 3 A’s for my three classes I’m taking at Century College. I’m currently at two A’s and one B, which I will hopefully have up to an A by the end of this coming week. I’ll have my final grades by the beginning of December 2016.
- Start a blog, that is primarily about animal conservation, by December 2016 (you’re currently looking at it; thank you). Completed 10/06/2016
- Start a YouTube Channel about animal conservation by December 2016. You can check that out here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2zIVlyhbNMBfwUSBEOLGNg . I actually started it by the beginning of November.
These were my main goals for 2016, and I’m on track for all of them except the 501c3 nonprofit, which I adapted. If you read this, and you want me to review your goals, do a #checkoutmygoals on twitter and I’ll check out your 2017 goals before the month of January.