The Importance of Product Photography for Crowdfunding Campaigns
Originally posted on Gadget Flow
When it comes to crowdfunding campaigns, your first opportunity to capture a backer’s interest lies in product photography. Initially, most people quickly skim a campaign page without reading the product description. By using attractive images, you can grab their attention and peak their curiosity. For this reason, poor product images will never get you very far. But, you don’t have to spend a lot to improve your images. In fact, all you need is a smartphone camera and some photography gear.
Always keep in mind that the way you show your product plays a vital role in gaining attention from potential backers. Here are some tips that you can use to capture beautiful images to ensure your product photography is as best as it can be.
Key Components of Exceptional Product Photography
- You don’t have to have the best DSLR camera to produce stunning product photography. Nowadays, there are plenty of powerful lenses that allow your iPhone to do the trick, such as Olloclip and Moment.
- Good lighting is essential when it comes to taking beautiful images, and products are no exception. Natural lighting works best when it comes to taking your own photos. You can try various natural lighting techniques such as using window light or invest in a pop-up photo studio for your smartphone, like the Lightcase.
- Show your product in different ways by experimenting with multiple views and angles. For example, if you’re selling a bag then you should show both the exterior and interior components. You’ll also want to show the sides, top, and perhaps even the bottom. Remember that your potential backers have not seen the actual product themselves, so you have to have professional photos that give them an accurate representation of your product.
- With so many products out there, you have to set yourself apart from the competition through your product images. Do your best to make your images and videos more appealing and memorable so that backers feel drawn to your product.
- Be sure to show any distinctive product features in your images. For example, if your product is water resistant then have a picture where droplets of water are falling off of it. Or if it glows in the dark then show it shining in a dark room. You might have listed your product features but visually representing them in your photos will make a lasting impression.
- Take your time working on each image until it is at its best. There are many useful guides and tutorials that can walk you through what it takes to capture and enhance your images.
- Experiment with different backgrounds to find one that works. Neutral backgrounds tend to look the best since they focus the attention on your product. Loud, busy backgrounds can turn a stylish product into a tacky looking one. Find a background that makes your product look its absolute best.
- If your product has multiple styles and colors, it’s important to showcase the entire collection. We all have different tastes so this will only increase your chances of attracting more backers.
- It’s also beneficial to show how your product is packaged. People might be wondering if it’ll survive in the mail, especially if it’s a fragile item, or curious about gifting it to a friend.
- Even though you’ll have many images for each of your products, take the time to determine which one will be the featured image. Of course, you should choose an image that shows your entire product. But also consider how it will come across to all the people who will hopefully view your campaign. Think of it as your first impression and make it a good one.
What are some things you always consider when it comes to product images? What have you found that works for you? I’d love to know.