Make and Set Monthly Donations Now Before You Get Comfortable
The unfortunate reality is that the majority of people who are feeling dread and anxiety right now will lose that sense of urgency over time. That’s how these things usually go.
If you feel like you might be one of those people, I hope that you will do one thing: set up a monthly donation to organizations dedicated to protecting the rights of all Americans.
At your laziest, please donate to the ACLU. They will be able to help protect the rights of all communities at risk right now: immigrants, blacks, Latinos, Muslims, Jews, women, and the LGBTQ community.
I know a recurring donation is difficult for some people, but if you do have the ability to carve out a set amount per month, the predictability of incoming donations is so helpful for these organizations and how they plan.
- ACLU: To protect the civil liberties of all Americans.
- Planned Parenthood: To protect the rights and healthcare of all women.
- NAACP: To eliminate race-based discrimination in all of its forms.
- The Trevor Project: To provide crisis intervention for LGBTQ youth.
- Council on American-Islamic Relations: To protect against rising hatred towards Muslims.
- Jewish Voice for Peace: To protect against rising anti-semitism.
- MALDEF: To protect the civil and legal rights of the Latino community.
- Sierra Club Foundation: To protect the environment we live in.
- Southern Poverty Law Center: To seek out equal justice through education and litigation.
- The International Rescue Committee: To respond to the world’s humanitarian crises.
Alternatively, here are other options to consider:
- smaller organizations with similar missions but less visibility / resources;
- independent journalists who are doing crucial work for our democracy;
- educational orgs that will help future generations to think critically;
- and of course, medical, community, and international causes that still need our help.
I’d be happy to add to this post with more recommendations.