I once had a domain bought from GoDaddy and used it with my Gmail account. Specifically I was able to:
- Get emails sent to email@example.com in my Gmail (email forwarding)
- Sent emails from firstname.lastname@example.org via Gmail
All free of charge (except of domain itself). You can still do it now, but it’s not that straightforward.
GoDaddy gives 100 free email forwarding, but this service is not enabled by default. If you don’t know about this you’d go to email setup and godaddy will offer you to buy monthly plan (well done godaddy, so user friendly 👍).
Anyway, follow instructions below:
- Login to GoDaddy and open “My Products” page: https://mya.godaddy.com
- Find “WORKSPACE EMAIL”, click expand button (+)
- Click “Set Up” button next to “Free email forwarding for YOURDOMAIN.COM Email Forwarding — 100 Pack”
- “Set Up” should change to “Manage” (you may need to refresh the page)
- Click “Manage” button next to “Free email forwarding for YOURDOMAIN.COM Email Forwarding — 100 Pack”
- “Create” → “Forwarding” → Follow instructions on your screen
- Wait for some time before forwarding email is setup. Done! You are awesome! 😀
Send emails from MAIL@MYDOMAIN.COM
Google provides good description of how to setup “Send mail as” feature. However it’s hard to find. Almost all links from Google search will talk about Google Apps instead of personal accounts.
- Open this page (cache)
- Go to “Send email from your email alias” in the bottom of the page
- Follow instructions (you’ll need Google 2-Step Verification to be enabled)
GoDaddy, you are welcome! Get your shit together.