So this week we had to do a few gum tests like the ones we did in class last week. This is part of the demo that we had in class…
These actually looked okay, but i realized I wasn’t a big fan of the Gum process. It gives too much of a soft quality, and I am not sure I appreciate that too much. But this was only the first example, so I am not yet at the point of giving up. I did notice a problem though, as I didn’t pre soak the paper before printing my cyanotype, the paper shrunk, and the negative didn’t quite stay in place of the Gum print. I am guessing this Canson Mix media paper, like all others needs sizing before anything is done to them.
For this week, I decided to experiment with gum with pigment and try out another paper that i found Strathmore Toned Tan.
I tried both the papers and I wasn’t happy with either of them. But another issue that presented itself was the amount of pigment I had been using. Way too much is what it is. I used a 1/2" of watercolor pigments and clearly that was too much, but now I know. I will decrease that probably to 1/4" or even less for the Lamp Black. Also, the Cadmium red and the Green are just terrible.
As I did not like these gum prints at all, I printed some fun things just to keep exploring the Van Dyke Brown and Cyanotypes in different scales and papers. Also I wanted to print some of the images I took at the Di Rosa Preserve.
I really like the blue tones that the Canson mix media paper has with the cyanotype process, but I would like to try the back of the paper which has less texture on it.
I wanted to try the Vellum paper too just because I like the idea of being able to shine light behind it and the semi-transparent effect it has, but I am not sure this particular image worked for this.