Hiring a Full-Stack Software Engineer
We’re looking for a full-stack software engineer to join our small, but mighty engineering team. We build in-house software for First Round Capital’s startup community. Our founders, CEOs and their teams use our products every day to build some of the world’s most exciting startups.
We believe that companies move forward when the people behind them are connected with the right resources at the right time. That’s why we built First Round Network, a platform that connects startup builders across all First Round companies like HotelTonight, Warby Parker, Blue Apron, Planet Labs, Looker, MemSQL, Flexport and many more.
This product is not just for their top leadership either — we aim to connect all employees at every First Round company. Today, our CEOs can reach out to other CEOs, marketers to marketers, and engineers to engineers to get the data, advice and support they need. We’re constantly fielding feedback from members of Network to build tools they actually want and need.
You’ll make a big impact on our lean team, and be counted on to implement projects from start to finish. As an engineer early in your career, you’ll get a rare opportunity to sharpen your web development skills while getting a front row seat to learn how VCs and startups work at the seed stage.
- 1–3 years of professional software engineering experience
- Basic knowledge of software development best practices (git, Unix shell, SQL, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of full-stack web development, in particular the MVC design pattern
- Interest in diving into and embracing Rails (we love it!)
- Experience writing maintainable, well-tested code while moving fast
- Desire to work on a small, collaborative team
You might have:
- Professional experience with Rails or a similar MVC framework (Django, Flask, Express)
- Previous experience with Series Seed or Series A startups
- Previous experience or interest in venture capital, finance, education, or online communities
- Familiarity with our stack: Rails, Heroku, PostgreSQL, Sidekiq, Elasticsearch, React, etc.
- An unparalleled place to learn about and connect with startups at the seed stage
- An inside look at how the venture capital industry works
- Autonomy and ownership over your work
- A tight-knit, hardworking, and thoughtful team (we’re only ~30 people company-wide)
- Top-notch health insurance and other benefits
This is a full-time role at the First Round office in San Francisco, CA. To read more about us, from how we approach investing (such as what we look for in a startup) to what it’s like to work with us (including how we support companies and our stance on diversity and inclusion), read here.
Is this you? Sounds like someone you know?
If so, please email Kevin Deggelman at email@example.com.