Home Fireproof Safe Ratings — How to Determine If Your Safe is Fireproof Wish to Blow Up A Safe?
With these tests for the home fireproof safe, it may explode. This article tells you how to test a fireproof home safe to determine if it fulfills the standards for fire ratings that are resistant by The Underwriters Laboratories. Please note that i take advantage of the term fireproof interchangeably with fire resistant, technically they’re not interchangeable. I also recommend that you don’t actually try this in the home. It is far too costly and dangerous.
1. You will require a minimum of two identical home fireproof safes. You will require a third fireproof home safe if you’d like to perform some explosion test by it self.
2. Select some documents that can be used for a test. Make sure it is something you can spare but never make use of blank paper otherwise you won’t know if is readable or not. I’ve contemplated utilizing my BS degree in electric engineering. I have not used it for years. If you’re testing a media safe, then you definitely may wish some CDs that you got for Christmas and can’t stand. Take to a flash drive and memory stick also.
3. You’ll need a furnace big enough to heat one secure at a period. If you have watched MacGyver or the A Team, We’m sure you are able to improvise. Otherwise check out a local pottery kiln.
4. Get some protective gear. Oven mitts will perhaps not do well opening a safe who has been heated to 2,000 degrees F.
5. Somehow, you need to find some thermometers and recording devices that will let you know the internal temperature in the fireproof safe. I do not think an Oregon Scientific climate section shall work until you are testing for the UL 125 rating. It shall also need to measure humidity.
6. You may also require to gauge the outside heat associated with the safe. Good luck finding a cheap thermometer that goes to 2,000 degrees.
7. Oh, we nearly forgot. crane that is small hoist your property fireproof safe 30 feet in the air while it’s still hot. a release that is quick additionally be needed for the drop test.
8. At the bottom of the drop test, you shall need a pile of bricks on a concrete slab.
Assuming you have been in a position to construct all of the product above, it might be good to get out exactly what the different UL ratings mean as well as the requirements which will determine a successful test. Each of the ratings can be used for a fireproof safe but it is meaningless unless you specify just how long the secure shall satisfy the typical.
UL 350 — The interior must be kept by the safe temperature below 350 degrees Fahrenheit. That is below the normal heat for paper products that are most to burn, char or become useless.
UL 150 may be the score for tapes, cartridges, microfiche, and microfilm. Along with maintaining the interior at or below 150 levels, the moisture must be below 85%.
UL 125 may be the standard for diskettes. The temperature cannot exceed 125°F and 80% humidity in this case. I have actually a feeling that this standard is a bit out of date because most individuals don’t anymore store diskettes.
The test that is first to see if your fireproof home safe will protect the contents for the certain duration of time. You need to start at normal room humidity and temperature. Load your safe with your test material and haul it over to your furnace.
Heat your furnace to the temperatures that are followingall Fahrenheit) for the test you need to run then put the secure in the furnace. Be cautious, when Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were tossed into a super hot furnace, the people assigned to your task were killed through the temperature.
o 1,550 for a ½ hour ranked safe
o 1,700 for a 1 hour rated safe
o 1,850 for a 2 hour ranked safe
o 1,920 for a 3 hour ranked safe
o 2,000 for a 4 hour rated safe
Leave your home fireproof safe within the furnace for ½ to 4 hours. Here comes the kicker. Never remove the safe after the allotted time, simply turn the heat off and let it cool down inside the furnace. If you have a really good furnace, like the people that the guys at UL have, that would take up to 68 hours. You’ll need to record the inner temperature throughout the heat up and cool down stage. If it goes above the rating, your home fireproof safe flunked the test. Whenever it gets cool sufficient to start, you need to check your test contents to produce sure they are nevertheless good.
The heat is thought by me test was somewhat boring. The impact test is a complete lot more fun and doesn’t take because long. Because of this test, you will need your home fireproof that is second safe. Begin exactly the same as before however the times and temperatures in the furnace are less.
o 20 mins at 1,460 degrees for a hour that is safe
o half an hour at 1,550 degrees for a 1 hour rated safe
o 45 mins at 1,640 for a 2 hour ranked safe
o 60 minutes at 1,700 for a 3 and 4 hour rated safes
This part sounds like a TV game show. You now have 2 mins to obtain the safe out from the furnace, raise it 30 foot in the air and drop it onto your pile of bricks. Whenever you can begin to see the insides through any cracks or the door, your fireproof safe flunked the second test. However, you aren’t done yet if it still looks OK.
Turn your secure upside down and reheat it once more. This time around you can take it off from the furnace and allow it to cool. Open the safe and examine the contents. If everything is OK, including no harm as a result of moisture, you are very nearly done.
If you should be a fan of Mythbusters on TV, then this has the potential of being the most fun. If you just bought two safes, then you’ll definitely want to do this before you do the fall test.
Begin with a fireproof home safe that is empty. Heat it to 2,000 degrees then start it and stuff the test documents, CDs or other material in really quick. Slam the door shut and keep the exterior at 2,000 degrees for another 30 minutes. If your safe hasn’t exploded you are almost done. As soon as it offers cooled enough to make sure it can be handled by you, open your home fireproof safe and work out sure your write-ups are still OK.
Congratulations, you have got just proved that your home fireproof safe is indeed fire resistant.
None of your safes are any good anymore and this is for individuals who like to see things blow up. Get a stick of dynamite and… No, I’m maybe not going there. Someone might accuse me of endangering people.