What I Have Learned About Being on Crutches
Wednesday, April 27, 2016
I broke my foot almost two weeks ago and I’m currently in a boot and on crutches. Even in this short period of time, there are a few things I have learned about adjusting to this type of situation.
1. The people at the doctor’s office do not seem to understand that you may have no idea how to walk on crutches or correctly adjust them for size. They sent me on my way, metal sticks flailing, making me a menace to all who crossed my path. It is a miracle I didn’t break something (or someone) on the way to the parking lot. Luckily, YouTube has some very fine videos on how to get around on crutches.
2. It is next to impossible to carry anything safely on crutches. Sometimes you have to use the bunny hop method.
3. It is not recommended to carry beverages using the bunny hop method.
4. Cell phones fit very nicely into the top of your boot. It gives me a little bit of that Lara Croft, Tomb Raider vibe to be sticking things inside my boot and strapping them in with velcro.
5. You can carry an impressive number of things in your bra when needed. Remember to take them out when you get where you are going.
6. Dogs love people on crutches. A little too much.
7. If there is anything, anywhere that your crutch could possibly get caught on…it will. I’m not kidding. Anything. A piece of thread, an ant that has wandered into your home, blades of grass….
8. It is weird to wear one cute shoe and one big, giant, velcro boot.
9. There are companies that make things to cover your weird, big, giant velcro boot. They have super fast shipping because they obviously understand their customer. I just ordered some and will let you know how that goes.
10. My daughter, my friends, and my church family are kind, caring, excellent cooks and willing chauffeurs. It is beyond difficult for me to ask for help, but with my husband on a missions trip to Haiti, I have really had to let that hang-up go. And that has actually been the best lesson of all.
As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace:
1 Peter 4:10 ESV
Originally published at theunbolusedcookie.com.