MY STATUS: OFFICIALLY CHECKED OUT.
25 THINGS TO DO INSTEAD OF FOLLOWING PRESIDENTIAL POLITICS
Since November 9th, I have dialed down my consumption of political media (MSNBC, New York Times…). Still taking in enough to #staywoke though.
But January 20th and beyond, I’ve made a personal commitment to a total blackout of Executive Branch activity. Just cannot stand to watch or more viscerally, listen to that mess. Day one went well — I didn’t consume a moment of TV, social, chats, whatever that covered that nonsense.
I’ve created a list of things I’m going to do instead. Maybe you’re a “politics TV” junkie like me and struggling with the same issue? Perhaps this can be helpful. Here’s my list:
- Starting a blog, digitalmovements and blog at least every month. It’s a WIP — bear with me.
- Falling in love. Yes, it’s time. Watch this space.
- Play my favorite CDs and vinyl; dig way deep into the archives and find stuff like Earth, Wind and Fire “Last Days and Time”. Lots there.
- Work out — seriously, like kick ass bootcamp with Eduardo.
- Hike — I live so close to fabulous trails.
- Learn a language — right now it’s German!
- Meditate — Use Tina Tuner’s recording if I need guidance
- Drinks with friends, regularly
- Seriously grow veggies in my garden — don’t give up mid-season when the tomatoes don’t ripen.
- Local drives (Napa, Big Sur…). It’s all right here in my backyard.
- Read — If I re-read all the great stuff I have, that’s 4 years right there
- Sleep — go to bed earlier. No Charlie Rose politics.
- Work harder — work with the clear goal of where I want to get, how to get it, and the relative importance of work in my life.
- Teach social media — there’s a market for it, so they tell me.
- Learn salsa dancing — real, with-partner, salsa dancing
- Walk my cats — Yes, they have harnesses and I can take them outside
- Travel big when I can — Italy: Umbria/Tuscany? Seychelles? South Africa?
- Cook — now that’s a concept. Healthy eating.
- Wine tasting classes — did it before, need a refresh.
- Maximize use of social media communities to #staywoke
- Be a mentor — it’s rewarding
- Be mentored — I need it
- Read Atomic Ranch mid century modern magazine — I can make my home magazine-ready with little effort, just inspiration
- Juma Ventures non-profit work — changing the life of youths across American every day. Make my Board position a “working” position
- Walk a labyrinth — what the hell BUILD one in my yard. Easy to do with rocks. Gonna need it for all those mind-clearing walking meditations during the next four years.
Update: It’s January 28th. Stickin’ to it!