Everything You Should Experience In (and Around) Coachella 2017
If you’re like me, you couldn’t justify the high price tag on this year’s Coachella. But so many people flood Palm Springs around this time that the experience has grown well outside of the festival grounds. After doing some research I realized that not every notable event around Coachella takes place at the Empire Polo Club grounds.
Coachella’s weekends are filled with parties and live performances just minutes from the festival. The tickets are substantially cheaper than the $399 price tag for the festival tickets. Some of these events will cost about $30 to $50 while others will be free of charge. If you are skipping Coachella altogether, this is a great way to get a festival experience without having to spend big money.
Music Events Outside of Coachella’s Main Grounds
- Kick off Coachella weekend with Young Turks in Palm Springs on Thursday, April 13. Hosted at the Air Museum in Palm Springs, tickets are only $30 and feature a full lineup that includes Jamie xx, Ben UFO, and Four Tet.
- Let the fun continue on Friday, April 14 with Rhonda: Queen of the Desert, the Palm Spring’s edition of L.A.’s A Club Called Rhonda. If you’re a lover of deep house then won’t be able to pass up on headliners Solomun and Dixon. Tickets are only $30.
Day Club & Poolside Parties Around Coachella
- If there’s only one place to be during the day of Coachella weekend, it’s at Day Club Palm Springs. Open throughout both weekends of Coachella from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Hilton Palm Springs, each day includes a notable headliner like Nicky Romero, Skrillex, and Dillon Francis. Both single day passes and all weekend passes are available, with single day passes ranging from $20 to $40, and 3-day weekend passes set at $50.
- If you’re looking for a low key way to pass a day in Coachella, PopSugar’s Cabana Day Club may be more your speed. This completely free event takes place April 15 at the Colony Palms Hotel. No invite is needed — guests are allowed in on a first come, first serve basis, so arrive early — the party starts at 1 p.m. This poolside event features a performance by Daya, DJs, free cocktails, and complimentary hair and beauty stations hosted by Ulta.
Cannabis Events Near Coachella 2017
Recreational use of marijuana has been legalized in California, but Coachella is still prohibiting it from the festival grounds. The good news is there are plenty of high-spirited events around for the cannabis-inclined.
- Just six miles from the Empire Polo Club grounds is a self-proclaimed “marijuana oasis” hosted by Weedmaps, the Yelp of local weed recommendations in California. This event is totally free — and, yes, that includes the products. The grounds will feature two grow-houses, a greenhouse, and fives separate domes each tailored to different cannabis experiences, from edibles to vaping to smoking — so pick your poison.
- If a high-end cannabis experience is more your speed, look no further than Cannaspa at Coachella, a lifestyle and wellness event centered around cannabis that takes place during the second weekend of Coachella. Indulge in the Dinner Is Dope event on April 21, a four-course dinner party that includes cannabis-infused food and drinks. Tickets are going at $125.
- For a similar experience with less steep of a price tag, check out the Cannaspa Cocktails event on the April 22 serving cannabis cocktails and snacks from ten canna chefs for $40. Cannaspa is also offering massages and facials, yoga, art classes, and boutique cannabis shopping across both days, all containing cannabis-infused products.
Art Events Around Coachella 2017
Coachella is a music and arts festival, and the arts experiences available at the festival are a must-see. The festival features art works by the most buzzed about up-and-coming artists.
- This year, experience Chiaozza Garden, an acre-wide garden sculpture by Brooklyn-based duo Chiaozza.
- Make sure to check out the work of another Brooklyn-based artist, Olalekan Jeyifous, and his pillar-like sculpture Crown Ether.
- Don’t leave without catching a glimpse of Brazilian artist Gustavo Prado’s “lighthouse” sculpture, Lamp Beside the Golden Door, composed of thousands of rounded mirrors.
Notable and Useful Tents Inside Coachella 2017
While there are plenty of add-ons to your Coachella experience, there are some awesome perks within festival grounds concertgoers shouldn’t miss.
- Coachella is offering a range of freebies, including a beauty bar for women offering complimentary braids, curls, and other styles, while men can enjoy a quick trim at the barbershop.
- Sephora will be at Coachella with its own tent offering complimentary experiences, including makeup retouching, hair braiding, and a dry styling booth.
- For the wellness-inclined, free yoga and Pilates are also available every morning, Friday through Monday from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Foodie Events at Coachella 2017
Foodies, rejoice: one of the can’t-miss-experiences is for you. Coachella is bringing the very best of the culinary world together with Outstanding in the Field, a high-end dining experience on Coachella grounds. Every night of the festival features a four-course meal and drinks by the most preeminent chefs in the industry, each with their own specialized menus. This year’s lineup includes Jet Tila, one of the most acclaimed chefs of modern Asian cuisine; Neal Fraser of L.A.’s Redbird; and Alvin Cailan of Eggslut. Tickets for dinner and drinks are $225 and include VIP Rose Garden Access on the day you dine.
If you really want to practice self-care, consider upgrading your accommodations from the local hotel to something a little more glamorous — like a private villa. These gorgeous homes provide much-needed R&R during your downtime and can completely transform your Coachella experience. If you split a rental with a large group, you actually save money while enjoying luxurious amenities.
Whether it’s food, art, or even more amazing live music acts you’re seeking to fill the hours with during Coachella, there’s more to do and see here than you may have thought. Wherever your Coachella experience takes you this year, you’re bound to find an event you won’t forget anytime soon.