Introduction to Single Sided Printed Circuit Boards !
Before discussing Single Sided PCB, first of all take a look on what is a PCB. PCB stands for Printed Circuit Board and this board is especially designed to support and mount the electronic components which as a whole work as a circuit. The electronic components are connected with the tracks, pads and lines which are incorporated on the laminated copper sheet. It is extensively used in electronic industry as it provides an easy approach to design the circuit which is otherwise a critical task. There are many kinds of PCBs available in the market. Here, we will discuss only about the Single Sided PCB, how is it made and where it is used.
What is a Single Sided PCB?
It is the simplest type of PCB and circuitry pattern is printed only at one side. It does not require plating through holes. It can be said that they contain only single conductive layer and are perfect for low density designs. Single sided PCBS can be easily designed and they dominate the electronic industry from the long time. For their better understanding and clarity, let’s discuss about their construction, benefits and their applications.
How are Single Sided PCBs designed?
· The base material, also known as substrate, is composed of an insulated fiber glass. This fiber glass is the reason of strength of circuit boards. The type and nature of base material decides the flexibility or rigidness of PCBs.
· Above the first layer of substrate, the layer of copper is made in varied thickness depending upon the type of PCB. It is defined in ounces per square foot.
· Above copper layer, there lies a solder layer which acts as an insulation layer. This layer avoids conduction in case of direct contact with conducting material.
· Finally on the top, a silkscreen layer exists which is mainly used for engraving symbols and characters so that one can easily identify and add the components.
Benefits of Single Sided PCB
· Best suited for low density designs
· Simple manufacturing process and less manufacturing issues which makes them ideal choice of professionals
· Due to high volume orders, these are available at low cost
· Easy to understand designing and lightweight
Common Applications of Single Sided PCBs
The use of single sided PCBs is gradually dominating various industries. Some of the common applications are as follows:
· Widely used in medical devices, the usage of PCBs ranges from small devices like pacemaker to large devices like X-ray and CT scan machines.
· Aluminium backed PCBs are used in LED lightings and catching more popularity in this field.
· Their use is not restricted to electronic or medical devices only; they are also preferred and extensively used in automotive and aerospace industry.
· They are also widely used in industrial machinery for designing compact circuits in controllers and testers.
· Coffee makers, Surveillance devices, sensor products are another application of PCBs.
The application of these PCBs is not only limited to these, there are many other devices and equipments which employ them because of their compact design and high efficiency.