IDEaTE Studio of the Future: Reflections
This project really challenged us in terms of figuring out how to design interactions in the augmented reality space. During this project, I learned a lot about how to start to think about these kinds of interactions. There are new considerations that are very different from the projects that I have worked on in the past. Part of this is I have also learned how much there is to learn before the interaction design is actually something real. I also learned a lot about the creation process in terms of prototyping AR in video format. There is a lot of stuff that you don’t realize before you shoot the video, and I think this is why it took us too shoots to get things correctly.
Planning on this project was extremely difficult. Part of the issue is that it is hard to allocate a set amount of time to figure out how certain interactions can be. It often takes a lot of whiteboarding, storyboarding, and just talking things out before finalized prototypes can be developed. I think that this is why environments projects in general have often resulted in long periods of crunch at the end of projects: we do a lot of exploration and we have to synthesize all of the ideas we have had into a final concept.
Working with a partner on this project was really interesting in terms of regulation. We were both able to keep each other focused when it was time to work, and would als
Some of the greatest challenges we faced during this project surrounded the retrieval of process information. Figuring out how we could represent and then access the information was difficult, but also resulted in an interesting concept of the tree diagram. Picking whether we were going to do the marker dispenser or the process/retrieval project was also very difficult, and we had to weigh a lot of factors before coming to a decision.
Doing this project again, I definitely would have picked a direction much sooner. All the crunch at the end of the project could have been avoided if we had chosen a direction and started to prototype interactions for that path rather than explore for so long. I don’t think that our explorations didn’t help us design what we did, but I also feel that we could have learned that knowledge a lot more efficiently.