What an Employer Expect from Business Development Manager?
These days, every business feels the requirement of a business development manager to manage and improve their market position and achieve financial growth. Business development manager is a person who usually works on a senior level sales position within an organization.
A business development manager (BDM) basically involved in a variety of roles, which includes:
- Planning and working on long-term organizational strategic goals
- Building key customer relationships
- Identifying excellent business opportunities
- Setting targets for sales
- Finding and developing the company’s unique selling propositions
- Working with mid and senior level management, marketing, and technical staff
- Negotiating and closing business deals
- Grow and retain existing accounts by presenting profitable solutions and services to the customers
- Presenting new products and services to the clients for enhancing the existing relationships
- Managing various activities related to developing business for the company
- Maintaining a quality and extensive knowledge of recent market conditions
A large number of employers appoint Business Development Managers or BDMs to work with the internal sales team, marketing staff and other teams to augment the sales opportunities. The main aim behind employing these managers is to maximize the revenue of the company. Employers seek for the candidates who are capable of finding the potential new customers and convert them into clients and keep them for growing business in the future. Not only the potential customers, it is the responsibility of a business development manager to manage the existing patrons and ensure that they stay satisfied and positive.
What it takes to start a career as a Business Development Manager?
Those who are interested in sales and developing relationships, business development manager jobs are an ideal option for them. However, this job position is a senior level position and full of responsibilities. One is required to have a degree in business administration from a genuine institution, good standard of education including Maths, English and IT.
Furthermore, an experience in sales or marketing will be of added advantage to start and accelerate the career as business development manager. Other skills required to succeed in this career includes:
- Excellent communication skills
- IT skills
- Ability to work to deadlines
- A proper understanding of things required operating a business
- Knowledge of products, company, and industry
- Ability to analyze potential new business opportunities
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- Great sales and negotiation skills
- Creative mind
- A detailed understanding of marketing principles
- Good sense of business
- A positive attitude
To gain and expand the market share, several companies these days, are offering jobs for business development managers. To start a career in this field and achieve success, it is essential to polish your skills and knowledge to gain an edge over the high competition prevailing in the job market.