The Best Podcasts (or My Personal Favorite Podcasts)
Here is a run down of the podcasts I subscribe to using my favorite app (Downcast). While these are not all of my subscriptions, they are the ones I actually listen to.
- Planet Money — You would think it was on personal finance (being named Planet Money and all), but it goes way beyond that. I just listened to a podcast on the app Haystack (sell your parking space). From their site: “Imagine you could call up a friend and say, ‘Meet me at the bar and tell me what’s going on with the economy.’ Now imagine that’s actually a fun evening. That’s what we’re going for at Planet Money.” And it is fun!
- Hardcore History — Dan Carlin is amazing. He creates a historical narrative that is engaging, informative, and entertaining. I listened to a 5 part series on Genghis Khan — it is that good!
- TechStuff — Not as polished as some of the other podcasts, but the 2+ parters are just plain good. I really enjoyed the ones on Atari and HBO.
- Serial — Ok, if you’ve haven’t heard of this podcast then you’ve been living under a rock. The most famous, downloaded podcast in the history of podcasts. It follows the story of convicted murder Adnan Syed and makes you ask if he really did it. I say he….
- StarTalk — Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson himself with with Bill Nye or a comedian join forces to explore the mysteries of the universe. My favorite are the Cosmic Queries where Neil answers reader question off the top of his head…his brilliance shines.
- Radiolab from WNYC — Moving stories that either make you think or on pull your heard strings. Sometimes I don’t listen to them while I’m driving because they are too intense.
- StartUp — A series about, you guessed it, startups. The first season was about how Alex Blumberg left his stable job at NPR to create his own startup media company (Gimlet Media). Season 2 follows Dating Rink, a dating startup. Extremely entertaining if you are into the startup world.
- Reply All — The second podcast series from Gimlet Media about the hidden corners of the Internet. Some of the episodes are misses, but some real gems exist.
So there you have it! Enjoy, and I hope this helps you discover something new.
Originally published at anothermadworld.com on June 8, 2015.