Head of Operational Support Tanzania
“Uncover hidden opportunities to make a global impact”
Off Grid Electric is a growth-stage start up that’s on track to light a million homes in Africa over the next couple years with clean, affordable solar energy (see the articles at the bottom of this post). At the heart of our business is innovative solutions that delight our customers. We‘re now looking for a skilled Head of Operational Support to help us build world-class energy solutions for Africa.
This may be your dream job if you’re someone who dreams of combining your knowledge and skills enabling Off Grid Electric to change the renewable energy landscape. You’ll also need to be passionate about bringing solar energy to off-grid and other underserved markets — billions of people around the world — with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. You are inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and motivated to help build a truly epic business.
The Head of Operational Support is part of the countries’ leadership team and reports directly to the Managing Director. The Head of Operational Support is responsible for managing day-to-day operational support of the business within the country of operation. This includes providing oversight of procurement management, fleet management, property and office management, and the management of logistics and manufacturing operations encompassing importing, exporting, distribution, transportation, warehousing and inventory management.
- Strategic collaboration by participation in strategic meetings to contribute to the development of the annual country and operations strategy and business plan and develop implementation plan of operations strategy in collaboration with the team;
- Liaise with Director of Platform Logistics and Manufacturing in the preparation of the annual Country Strategy and Business Plan, in consultation with Country MD;
- Procurement and fleet management oversight, develop and maintain a Procurement Policy for use in-country;
- Office administration oversight, supervise Office Manager in operating country headquarters office, including managing office coordinators, drivers, and cleaners;
- Logistics and Manufacturing oversight, oversee the movement of products into the country and distribution to secondary warehouses, encompassing the importing of systems and components and buildup of kits;
- Health and Safety compliance, act as custodian of Health & Safety through the management of the Health, Safety, Environment and Quality Management System (HSEQMS) in compliance with regulations and legislation;
- Develop annual budgets based on operational and financial targets and monitor the departmental operating budget to ensure expenditure is aligned to budget allocations;
- Lead the recruitment of staff members in collaboration with Human Capital department and manage the performance of direct reports.
- BS Degree in Industrial Engineering, Supply Chain Management or equivalent;
- 8 years’ experience in a manufacturing and logistics environment, of which 5 years is at a management level;
- Experience in business planning, warehousing, manufacturing, facilities management and fleet management or IT would be advantageous;
- Knowledge of key IT systems such as Surge and NetSuite and of procurement processes and procedures;
- Knowledge of property lease local best practice and of transporters and the modes of transport;
- Knowledge of Manufacturing and understanding of the local business environment, including the relevant legislation pertaining to the country;
- Knowledge of Health & Safety regulations and legislation;
- Knowledge of financial principles and strategic planning, people management and leadership skills;
- Risk management and relationship management skills;
- Excellent communication skills and problem solving skills;
- Customer focused team player and able to work under pressure.
About Off Grid Electric
Off Grid Electric, through its consumer brand Zola, combines Silicon Valley technology with local expertise to offer African homes and businesses a long-term solar solution to an unreliable grid. Adaptable to both energy needs and income, Off Grid Electric’s solution can be bought over time through a leasing structure. The first few watts starts a chain reaction that enables people to achieve commonly held aspirations: security, education, access to information, and a longer and more efficient day.
Today, Off Grid Electric powers more than 100,000 homes and businesses across Tanzania, Rwanda and Côte d’Ivoire. Off Grid Electric’s investors include: SolarCity, Vulcan Capital, DBL Partners, The Packard Foundation, Helios Investment Partners, and responsibility. Off Grid Electric is the recipient of the 2016 UN Momentum for Change Award, Zayed Future Energy Prize, and the 2015 Global Cleantech 100. For more information, visit offgrid-electric.com.
Are you interested in this position and join our team in Arusha, Tanzania, let’s connect and send your resume via firstname.lastname@example.org