Human Capital Manager — Expansion
Uncover hidden opportunities to make a global impact
Off Grid Electric is a growth-stage start up that’s on track to light a million homes in Africa over the next couple of years with clean, affordable solar energy. At the heart of our business is innovative solutions that delight our customers. We are looking for a seasoned Human Capital Manager to support our growth strategy in Africa.
This may be your dream job if you’re someone who dreams of combining your knowledge and skills enabling Off Grid Electric to change the renewable energy landscape. You’ll also need to be passionate about bringing solar energy to off-grid and other underserved markets — billions of people around the world — with the unique social, technical, and business challenges that come along with it. You are inspired by the opportunity to unleash whole continents of human potential, and motivated to help build a truly epic business.
Off Grid Electric is seeking an experienced Human Capital professional to lead the People stream in our Start Up Projects across African Countries. The Human Capital (HC) Manager will develop a HC strategy for each country, providing support and advisory services to leadership and Business teams within the country of operation, and in accordance with Group HC policies, procedures and statutory requirements.
The HC Manager is responsible for:
- Setting up a robust HR operation in the countries, compliant with local labor laws and Off Grid Electric’s Group Human Capital processes and procedures.
- Develop and deploy an effective Human Capital Strategy for Expansion, supporting growth, compliance in a standardized manner, yet matching with local law and labor market.
- Activities to initiate and support are startup/growth related with a strong focus on staffing, (country management and functions) resourcing and selection, legal (entity) and a clear prioritization per country wrt HC practices.
- Setting up Human Capital consultancy services and administration, including the resourcing of qualified Human Capital teams for the respective country.
- This senior role reports into the VP of Expansion and will be part of Off Grid Electric’s Expansion Leadership Team (OPCO).
This role will not have a permanent location and is expected to change country location on a 6 monthly basis. Once the Human Capital Operation is sustainable and delivering a robust HC service, the HC Manager transfers the responsibility to the countries’ Human Capital team and moves to another country to support growth and apply the same principles matching local regulation and legislation.
- MBA (or Msc) in Human Resource Management or a related field
- 10 years of Human Capital Generalist Experience within Africa
- 5 years HC Leadership and/or Project Management experience
- Experience setting up a new business from a Human Capital perspective
- Knowledge of Human Capital policies and procedures and best practices
- Deep understanding of the applicable Human Capital legislation
- Ability to perform on a strategic and operational level
- Conceptually strong, Independent, uses initiative
- Coaching and Advisory Skills
- Communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Ethical, team player, integrity and the ability to work under pressure
- Ability and ease to change work location on a 6 months basis (change country)
- Fluent in English and at least one additional common ‘African’ Language (French, Swahili)
- Off Grid Electric offers a competitive compensation & benefits package, matching with the position requirement to work for a short-term periods in expansion countries.
- Travel to some of the loveliest and most exotic parts of Africa
- The opportunity to directly improve millions of lives. By bringing sustainable electricity to a part of the world where 90% of people have no grid access — Few other activities can provide as fundamental an impact on human lives as this.
- World-class medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Some of the smartest, most committed, and hardest working international colleagues in a distributed environment
About Off Grid Electric
Off Grid Electric, through its consumer brand Zola, combines Silicon Valley technology with local expertise to offer African homes and businesses a long-term solar solution to an unreliable grid. Adaptable to both energy needs and income, Off Grid Electric’s solution can be bought over time through a leasing structure. The first few watts starts a chain reaction that enables people to achieve commonly held aspirations: security, education, access to information, and a longer and more efficient day.
Today, Off Grid Electric powers more than 100,000 homes and businesses across Tanzania, Rwanda and Côte d’Ivoire. Off Grid Electric’s investors include: SolarCity, Vulcan Capital, DBL Partners, The Packard Foundation, Helios Investment Partners, and responsibility. Off Grid Electric is the recipient of the 2016 UN Momentum for Change Award, Zayed Future Energy Prize, and the 2015 Global Cleantech 100. For more information, visit offgrid-electric.com.
Are you interested in this position — let’s connect, send your resume via Charles.Kazuka@offgrid-electric.com.