My General Ideas:
New Warm-up Game:
The game I created is called Story Time. I made cards with each letter of the alphabet on them and mixed them up. The point of the game is to get a story going with each person adding just one word. Going around the circle, each person picks a card from the stack and has to say a word to continue the story that starts with the letter on their card. The goal is to get all the way through the stack without having to start a new story. Every time a player is stuck on a hard letter and doesn’t know how to make it fit into the story, they have the chance to make up any kind of crazy ending to the story using as many words as they want. Then, they begin a new story with a word starting from the card they picked.
My brainstorming session took place at my house in my living room area. I set up the participants around the room so that they could all see each other and easily participate.
I had a total of four participants. One was Ashley, who has had to wear special orthotic shoes and gel inserts since she was little. Another was Katie, who dislocated her kneecap and had to wear a knee brace for multiple months. I thought these two would be helpful in the process, because they have experience with these areas of our theme. The other participants were two of my friends, Sydney and Francisco.
To start off, we played Zip Zap Zop just to get everybody comfortable. Then, we played the word ball association games, first with related words and then with unrelated words. After that, we played my new warm-up game, creating a story word-by-word with specific letters. It was cool to see how the group started to loosen up more and more after each game. After I was sure they were all comfortable, I explained again what we were going to do and then we began the brainstorming process.
We began idea generation at 9:35 pm and ended at 10:15, for a total of 40 minutes. The total number of ideas generated was 48. The IPM for the session was then 1.2.
Sorting and Voting:
At first, I had them organize the ideas into categories without talking. When they were finished, we talked about what they thought the titles of the categories would be and then rearranged them a little, based on what the group voted should move. This brought us to the following categories:
Basic Outer Designs
Hand/Feet Prosthesis Attachments
Orthotics Focused Designs
Phantom Pain Treatments
After voting on the arrangement of the drawings into categories, I started them on the process of voting for which ideas they liked best. They each had their specific color that they used for their sketches. To keep it simple, I had them draw a dot of their same color on the ideas that they liked. I told them they each had ten dots to give out and let them go. The pictures show this voting process. We then voted that the ideas with 3 dots are the best ideas and the ones with two dots are next best. Putting these together, we are left with a total of twelve great ideas. This was a narrow enough pool for me to choose a top ten from, so I left it at that.