Tyler talks with Pedro about his research on aging, the new class of drugs aiming to ameliorate age-related diseases, the recently-won Brain Preservation Prize, the state of cryobiology, cryopreservation and the contentious practice of cryonics, and his thoughts on opportunities for philanthropy in these nascent areas.
João Pedro de Magalhães is a reader (associate professor) at the University of Liverpool, where he leads the Integrative Genomics of Ageing Group. He also coordinates the UK Cryonics and Cryopreservation Research Network.
He has sequenced and analyzed the genome of the bowhead whale, contributed to analysis of the naked mole rat genome, and maintains the Human Ageing Genomic Resources, among other databases. In 2004, he obtained his PhD from the University of Namur in Belgium, followed by postdoctoral work at Harvard Medical School under George Church.
- Pedro’s site, twitter, and pages on aging, cryobiology and cryonics
- University of Liverpool page and research group
- UK Cryonics and Cryopreservation Research Network
- The Genomics of Cryopreservation
- Human Ageing Genomic Resources
- Digital Ageing Atlas
- The Bowhead Whale Genome Resource
- Animated video on “What Is Aging?”
- TEDx Talk: Slowing Down Ageing
- TEDx Talk: Cryonics: Fantasy or a Bridge to the Future?
- The Business of Anti-Aging Science
- Paper: Naked mole rats and cellular senescence
- Topic: Cellular senescence, senolytics
- Paper: The Achilles’ heel of senescent cells
- Article: New class of drugs targets aging to help keep you healthy
- Org: UNITY Biotechnology
- Org: Calico
- Paper: The Hallmarks of Aging
- Org: Open Philanthropy Project
- Report: Mechanisms of Aging
- Org: Organ Preservation Alliance
- Topic: Organ banking
- Org: The Brain Preservation Foundation
- Prize: Large Mammal Brain Preservation Prize, Small Mammal
- Doc: Media brief on Large Mammal Brain Preservation Prize
- Paper: Aldehyde-stabilized cryopreservation
- Org: 21st Century Medicine
- Person: Greg Fahy
- Video: Aldehyde-Stabilized Cryopreservation Is Cryonics for Uploaders
- Article: Practical Applications of Philosophy in Age of Cryopreservation
- Org: Nectome
- Org: Alcor Life Extension Foundation
- Person: Aubrey de Grey
- Org: SENS Research Foundation
- Topic: SENS Challenge
- Person: Clive Coen
- Article: To store, perchance to thaw?