Account Manager at Help Scout
At Help Scout, we build tools that enable more than 8,000 businesses in 140 countries to communicate with customers in the most human, helpful way. Our success to date has been the result of three things: crafting an excellent product, building a brand that aligns with the values of customer-centric companies, and advocating for customer service professionals.
As Account Manager, you’ll play a critical role in establishing new relationships and continuing existing dialog with our larger customers to ensure we’re delivering on our mission to help them provide excellent customer service. You’ll also have the opportunity to craft how we approach 1:1 Account Management in an authentic, proactive and customer-centric way.
About the role
- You’ll work to build 1:1 relationships with our larger customers, most of whom we do not have ongoing established relationships with. Your job is to be a trusted advisor, working alongside them to ensure they’re successfully achieving their goals with Help Scout.
- You’ll become a product expert by training with our support and sales team on a regular basis, so that you can guide customers through advanced implementations and use cases of the product in their organization.
- You’ll proactively identify, grow and forecast upgrade/expansion/retention of your customer base to the finance team so that we can forecast accurately.
- You’ll be responsible for establishing a meeting cadence with these accounts where you’ll document key contact roles, use cases, payment preferences, strategic goals, expected outcomes and overall health of the account.
- You’ll proactively monitor, manage and negotiate annual renewals to ensure customers continue to get the most out of their annual plan.
- You’ll work with customers to optimize their existing setup, understand current challenges, assist with facilitating change, and drive new feature adoption.
- When recommending an upgrade, you’ll educate the customer on benefits, and guide them all the way through successful implementation, making sure they’re setup for success.
- You’ll be responsible for reporting on learnings and valuable feedback to the rest of the team so that we can improve the product, prioritize the right features, and improve our 1:many customer success efforts.
- You’ll play a key role in influencing or in some cases creating 1:many trainings and calls designed to help your smaller customers succeed, without always requiring a 1:1 call.
- You’ve worked as a customer success or account manager in a SaaS environment before.
- You love helping people win! It genuinely energizes you to work with customers to improve their business, even if it means our product isn’t the right answer.
- You are comfortable switching gears between in-the-weeds product questions to pricing negotiations and feel comfortable happy wearing several hats when it comes to sales, support, and account manager. You’ll be the point person on any one of them, mobilizing your team mates for support.
- You have a history of digging into challenges and opportunities first-hand to understand what’s going on, and then get jazzed about documenting what you’ve learned so(elements of it) can be automated and scaled.
- You can easily lose track of time geeking out reviewing data, working in Marketing Automation(HubSpot) and Sales Automation(Salesforce) tools. Mastering this stuff can be challenging, but you love it.
- You have experience building relationships and tracking key activities in Salesforce.
- You are an excellent communicator who can write and speak with empathy. Clear, simple and friendly communication is super important when representing our brand and working in a remote culture like ours.
Who you’ll work with
- Tim Thyne, Head of Sales — You’ll be reporting to Tim, and will work closely with him on the strategy of this program. He’s worked with a lot of our larger customers in the past and will have a wealth of context to share as you get up and running.
- Abigail Phillips, Head of Customers Team — Abigail has lead our company successfully scale our amazing support team; Abigail and her team continue to provide human, helpful responses while being Help Scout product experts.
- Eli Overbey, Head of Growth — Eli has played a key role in building the systems and processes that helps our sales, marketing and support teams stay aligned and prioritize outreach. You’ll work closely with him to identify behavioral triggers that signal upgrade, expansion or churn opportunities that you can then take proactive action against.
- Competitive Salary — We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Health and dental insurance — We cover you and your family’s health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we’ll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you’re based outside the US, we offer a healthcare stipend.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance — We cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider. (currently US only)
- Flexible vacation — Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care — 12 weeks for primary caretaker and 4 weeks for secondary caretaker.
- 401k with 1% match — via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend — Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools — Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and 27'’ display (or equivalent equipment of choice).
- Home Office Stipend — You’ll also receive $1,000 to spend on outfitting your home office, as well as up to $350 a month to rent a co-working space if you like.
- Complete transparency — Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 80 people in 40+ cities around the world, all with a passion for excellence in their craft. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences.
Since launching in April of 2011, Help Scout now powers 9,000+ support teams in over 140 countries. Our software is used and trusted by businesses of every shape and size.
Designed to go the distance
Our mission is to foster the world’s customer-centric businesses by providing tools that serve customers in the most human, helpful way. While growth is important, team and values are paramount. We’re always striving to do impactful work we’re proud of in lieu of chasing overnight success.
We’re builders without borders
Our entire team is free to work remotely from wherever they choose. We overcome remote challenges through transparency, trust, and video conferencing. The reward is worth the effort — we’ll take talent, skill, and diverse perspectives over local geography any day.
Above all, we want Help Scout to be a place where passionate people can do their very best work. You won’t find any ping-pong tables or kegerators here. Instead, you’ll be surrounded by driven, supportive teammates who will push you to be better. We take work/life harmony seriously, too, as we want every career at Help Scout to be a long and satisfying one.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it’s the right thing to do.