Newbie PM at Silicon Valley
Why I haven’t found my product to rise it and shine together?
I am foreign and don’t have experience in U.S.
I graduate from a collage that is not known by the companies in Bay Area.
I am a women.
I haven’t coded for 5 years.
I don’t have enough network.
I don’t know the right answer and some of guesses from the meet ups that I attended. Maybe some of them are my biases.
From my experience as PM; I thought below ones will be enough to be PM for one of my hero products.
- I am in love with products.
- I take responsibility.
- I’m curious.
- I focus first on delivering value to our users.
- I know who we’re building for and what we’re building.
- I lead by example.
- I succeed by making others successful.
- I fill in the gaps and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- I don’t like surprises, so I prepare for them.
- I pay attention to the details because I care.
- I am honest, direct and empathetic.
- I seek the truth.
- I trust others to do their jobs well but I verify that they am done right.
- I listen first and make certain that others feel that they’ve been heard.
- I value and foster strong team relationships.
- I choose right over easy.
- I choose simplicity over complexity.
- I communicate with anyone and everyone who is interested, but most importantly to our teams.
- I let my team determine how to build.
- I provide focus through prioritization.
- I increase quality through iteration.
- I don’t wait to be told what to do.
- I understand why I win and what I must do to keep winning.
That’s why I don’t lose my faith and never stop learning and growing.
You should not lose too!
Before writing this post, I read ‘We are Product Managers https://venturegeneratedcontent.com/2013/07/11/we-are-product-managers/ via Satya Patel’ post and inspired from his words. Thank you for reminding me who I am.