An Overview of Kotlin
Coming from an industry where the language is put to use every day and not from academia, it solves problems that working programmers face today in an android application development company. Moreover, Kotlin is approachable and can be learned by anyone in a few hours by simply reading its reference.
Because of its focus on the ecosystem, it stands out in a sea of programming languages used by android development companies in the world. Making writing code a pleasant experience, Kotlin has many useful features like:
- An open source, Kotlin costs nothing to adopt. It also comes with a high-quality, one-click Java to Kotlin converter tool, with a strong focus on Java binary compatibility. It can convert an existing Java project, even for complex programs with millions of lines of codes, one file at a time and everything will still compile.
- It has a lean and intuitive syntax that works everywhere.
- Focused on balancing terseness and readability in syntax, reviewing codes in Kotlin can be easily done by people who aren’t familiar with the language.
- With a seamless interop, Kotlin can use all existing Java frameworks and libraries, including advanced frameworks that use annotation processing. It does not require wrappers or adapted layers and can integrate with build systems like Maven, Gradle, etc.
- Kotlin has a standard, small and tight library that mostly consists of extensions to the Java standard library.
- It imposes no runtime overhead, and enforces no specific philosophy of programming, like overly functional or OOP styling.
- Kotlin allows the usage of productivity enhancing tools, and codes in it can be refactored, searched, navigated and auto completed, just like in Java.
- It provides full support for debugging, unit testing, profiling, etc., which combined with the appearance of frameworks like Anko and Kovenant, make it light, and therefore popular with android developers.
- A clever intersection of language features in Kotlin makes builders auto-completable, to construct complex structures.
- Methods to classes can be added without modifying their source code with Kotlin’s extension functions. It also makes the discovery of new methods via auto-completion easy, allows one to build powerful language extensions, integrate existing Java APIs with other Kotlin features, among others.
With a large, highly competent and dedicated team working on it, and with a strong commercial support by JetBrains, Kotlin is here to stay for a long time. Its tryout side is a full blown IDE that features faster auto-completion, real-time background compilation, and online static analysis making it a favourite with android apps development companies.