Here’s how to fix the NBA All-Star Weekend
I don’t watch the All-Star Game anymore, or any event of the All-Star Weekend for that matter. The NBA takes 5 days off for it, and it needs a reshuffle and complete reorganisation.
On the other hand, I find knock-out competitions held in tournament format such as the NCAA March Madness, or the Olympic Games very attractive. So here is an idea to fix the NBA All Star Weekend, which also goes with the current talks for a better regular season schedule:
Let’s assume the NBA finds a way to reduce regular season games from 82 to 75 (let’s assume). In order make up for the loss of revenue, and replace the All-Star Game, around mid-February, a 13 days’ break is open, to play…
The NBA Tournament (Or the NBA Cup, or The Cup, or whatever)
30 NBA teams take part + 2 top-level rest of the world teams are invited (Barcelona, CSKA Moscow, …) = 32 teams tournament
One game Knock-out format: win or go home
The Tournament takes place in a region with four NBA capacity arenas:
Year one in SA, HOU, OKC, DAL
Year two: NYC, PHI,…
Year three: LA, SAC, PHO
One arena is designed as the main event, and all games are played there from round three to the final
Charity involvement (how to incentivise players)
At the beginning of the NBA season, each NBA team choses a charity for which it will compete in The Tournament. During the first half of the season, the players get to know the people working in the charity and the ones benefitting from it, take part to events together, etc. This will emotionally attach the players and staff to the charity and incentivise them to perform well during The Tournament.
Team reaches 1st round: charity gets $50k
2nd round: charity gets $100k
3rd round:charity gets $200k
Final Four: charity gets $400k
Final: charity gets $800k
Winner: charity gets $1.6 mio
Total Prize money: $9.6mio
Is that not enough? Too much? Do the players need additional money incentive? How to incentivise the coaches? GM?
- NBA Tournament MVP — replaces All Star Game MVP
- NBA Tournament Eastern Conf 12 best players — replaces all-star selection
- NBA Tournament Western Conf 12 best players — replaces all-star selection
- Exciting tournament format
- Brackets !!!
- Break of the monotony of the regular season
- Involvement of international teams (no one will want to loose against Real Madrid or Maccabi Tel Aviv): increase fan base and media coverage
- Generate revenue through ticketing, TV
- Strong charity support = Improved image
- Bring back the competitive spirit to the All-Star break
- Good platform for not-so-popular players to show off. Superstars may not play much, at least in the first rounds, depending on coach and team agenda. But the young players sent out there will compete!
- Not too fatigue inducing (maximum of 5 games for two teams)
- Makes a two weeks focus on the NBA in the midst of the regular season
- Provides an environment where coaches can be innovative, play young players more, experiment rotations without incidence on the ranking
- Players/teams not buying in
- What else?
Day 0: Rest day, teams travel to the region where The Tournament take place
Round one: (32 teams) two games in each arena: one afternoon game, one evening game: eight games are played for the top part of the bracket
Round one (32 teams): two games in each arena: one afternoon game, one evening game: eight games are played for the bottom part of the bracket
Round two (16 teams): two games in two of the four arenas: four games are played for the top part of the bracket and winning teams travel to the Main Event arena
Round two (16 teams): two games in two of the four arenas: four games are played for the bottom part of the bracket and winning teams travel to the Main Event arena
Round 3 (8 teams): two games played by the top bracket teams
Round 3 (8 teams): two games played by the bottom bracket teams
Rest day, events, slam dunk contest, celebrity game, etc
NBA TOURNAMENT FINAL FOUR SEMI FINALS
Rest day, events, 3-points, skills challenge, etc…
NBA TOURNAMENT FINALS
Days 11 and 12:
NBA regular season starts again
What do you think of this idea? And where do I send my bank account details for Adam Silver to send me the check?