Apple Vista

Remember those slick commercials years ago where the Apple guy was making fun of the PC guy and how he had to authenticate everything the person said to let them do their work?

Everyone laughed at those.

I completely forgot about them until I purchased a used iPhone 7. What used to be a fifteen-minute operation became a two-day back and forth with the person I purchased the phone from.

Here’s the gist of the problem — with the new fancy security features that enable you to wipe a phone remotely, track where it is and lock it into a completely unusable brick — there are holes aplenty that no one understands — unless they go read the online support articles to figure out what to do.

When I received said phone, I was told it had been purged — it had been reset but the new Activation Lock was on it (it was still in their iCloud find my phone profile)

After a few times of “declining” and talking with the person on how to reset this remotely, I was now able to get into their phone that allowed me to see everything on their phone — now in my possession.

That’s scary.

So, I took it back to this person’s house and printed out the awesome instructions that required them to completely remove this phone from their life. This took another thirty minutes of them authenticating passcodes and entering in a number of passwords (apple id and activation codes) to be able to remove it and have it gone from their life.

While there, the phone switched hands many times between parent and kid to ensure proper authentication was had.

Not too bad at that point, we were joking about it and having a good laugh about how it’s harder to sell a used iPhone than to do many other things in life.

Next, I went home and here’s where the real disaster struck.

I backed up my old phone to my PC, unplugged it from my PC, shut down iTunes, plugged in the new phone, restored the backup, only to find that I now had the old phone’s lock back on, asking me to re-activate again.

At this point, the former owner and I are good friends and we were trusting enough to do this remotely.

What I found is that when my restore process had completed, it had re-assigned the phone to their Apple Id and was now showing up in their profile under their “Find My Phone” with my new phone name?

Now that’s scary, like crazy scary — my phone, now on their profile, never connected ever before.

Maybe a step got missed somewhere, maybe there were gremlins in the gears and the flux capacitator wasn’t fully charged, who knows (I mean seriously who knows what happened here).

There is probably some logical explanation of steps that were missed during the process and mistakes that were made, checks that weren’t balanced and Ts that weren’t crossed — kind of like that Windows Operating system from a number of years ago.

You can argue I flubbed it here and there but if you’re selling a product that is built around simplicity and ease of use and this is the process to transfer it — you’ve lost your path along the way.

Windows learned this lesson when they released Vista, who knew it would be making a comeback years later.