“Life Is What Our Character Makes It. We Fashion It, as a Snail Does Its Shell.”
“Life is what our character makes it. We fashion it, as a snail does its shell.”
–Jules Renard, Journal
I’d never heard of French writer Jules Renard, but I love this journal.
Or perhaps it would be more accurate to add “Life is what our habits make it.” Do you agree with that? But of course, I see everything through the lens of habits these days, because of writing my book about habit-formation, Better Than Before.
(This article was originally posted at gretchenrubin.com)
- If you’d like to get my monthly newsletter, sign up here (highlights from the blog and Facebook). If you love great quotes, sign up here for the “Moment of Happiness,” and you’ll get a habits or happiness quote by email every morning. Free of course. And if you’d like to sign up as aSuper-Fan, to be asked for your help from time to time, or to get a little bonus, sign up here.
Other posts you might be interested in…
- “Old Rubbish! Old Letters, Old Clothes, Old Objects That One Does Not Want To Throw Away.”
- Questions For You: What Habits Most Affect Your Spiritual Life And Work Life?
- A Fact Of Life That Makes Me HAPPY Every Day. Especially Today.
- “Give Me My Scallop-Shell Of Quiet…”
- Video: For Habits, The Strategy Of First Steps.
If you found this post helpful, I’d appreciate it if you scrolled a little further and hit the Recommend button.
Gretchen Rubin is the author of the blockbuster New York Times bestsellers, The Happiness Project and Happier at Home. She writes abouthappiness and habit-formation (the subject of her next book, Before and After) at gretchenrubin.com. Follow her on Twitter, @gretchenrubin, on Facebook, facebook.com/GretchenRubin