Individual Idea Generation
How might we make a drawing space mobile and organized?
I explore this statement on my own and throughout this brainstorming process. Here is my original visualization of the problem.
The ideas I generated were created with the thought of the madesmart brand.
New Warm-Up Game
I decided to create a game that played like many other improve games which people take turns doing something in a circle. The game is call meh. One starts by indicating whose turn it is next with eye contact and their best meh. The person who locks eyes with accepts the meh by saying oh. This is now time for the person who just said oh to pass the meh. The game is purposefully ambiguous because if more than one person says oh they look at each other and say eh. Holding the eh until there is one person left who has not said ok. The ok indicates the other person can give the meh away.
The session I organized was with a mixture of people with different backgrounds. Unfortunately I was only able to get three other people together for it as a few people couldn’t end up making it last minute. Ty works in the film industry directing people as an assistant director. He has had a huge background in the arts having gone to an art school in college. Emily has a background in photography but draws in her spare time. She has a deep appreciation for art and tattoos. Michelle was originally an accountant and has a pretty linear thinking mind. She had a change later in life to become a photographer and follow her long time hobby.
I did the session at the kitchen table at my house. It is a circular table that everyone sat around. Pizza was an included fuel and benefit to doing the session. It took place at around 7pm on a Monday night. We used my new warm up game meh to start with then did the story spine word game. We used the once upon a time, and everyday, etc. format.
The session itself was conducted by keeping track of ideas from each person with different colored sharpies. The participants including myself sketched and titled our ideas before announcing them when finished. The ideas were layed out in the middle of the table to contemplate on the large white notecards.
Towards the end of the process I introduced the role playing technique to spur a final burst in creativity. The total time spent brainstorming was just over 25 minutes. There was a total of 32 ideas generated. All in all there was a IPM per person of .32. This was not as high as I was striving for but the time and number of people probably affected this metric. I would have strived for a different day and larger number of people.
Sorting and Voting
The silent sort method was used to figure out categories of the ideas. We put all of the ideas on the floor to visualize them fully since there was not a great vertical space to use. There became five different categories for the ideas.
Once the categories were created we voted on two parts, creativity and feasability. The creativity was signified by the green stickers while the feasibility was shown with the white stickers. The catagories were then labeled after voting ended.
Here are the distilled down set of ideas I came up with from all the brainstorming. I redrew them with more detail and clarity.
10/19 finish pre brainstorming prep (30 ideas, scheduling session and develop how to statement and new warm up game)
10/20 or 10/21 host brainstorming session
10/23 re-sketch ideas start blog post
10/25 finish blog post