How To: Add Back in Stock Notifications to Shopify
Shoppers that want to purchase a particular item are often turned away from a store when that item is out of stock. In fact, 36% of shoppers spend time researching which stores stock favorite items at the lowest price — if your store doesn’t include an ‘out of stock’ notification, you will lose out on those potential customers.
How can clients find out when an item in your store is back in stock? One of the best options is the ‘Back in Stock’ app. The ‘Back in Stock’ app integrates with your current inventory. When an item is out of stock, shoppers will see a green notification on the right-hand side of the screen.
Simple and Clear Notifications
This notification (as shown towards the end of this article) will prompt shoppers to enter an email address in order to be notified when an item is back in stock. This app takes the guesswork out of attempting to notify shoppers of an out of stock item manually, and it’s simple to use.
1. The first step is to install the ‘Back In Stock’ app. To do this, visit your Shopify App Store (that blue button in the top right corner).
2. Search for the app you want to install (in this case it’s the ‘Back in Stock’ app), and choose ‘Get.’ Note the price and the free trial expiry date — we think this app is awesome, but if you don’t like it (for some reason) you can delete the app prior to the free trial expiration.
3. Once you’ve purchased the app, you’ll see the screen above. This screen tells you what the app you just purchased can do. Essentially, the ‘Back In Stock’ app will coordinate seamlessly with your current online store, so that you don’t have to worry about finding products that are out of stock and adding email notifications to those products — this app does it all for you.
4. Next, choose ‘Install App.’ The installation process will begin.
5. If you’ve reached this orange pop-up, you’ve successfully installed the ‘Back in Stock’ app. From here, go through the tutorial by choosing ‘continue.’
6. Next you can create a ‘Back in Stock’ request for your storefront. Simply choose the grey highlighted area with the ‘+’ button. The app will automatically integrate with your existing Shopify store to find items that are out of stock.
7. In this case, the out of stock item that ‘Back In Stock’ found was the ‘A-Line Mini Dress in Blue.’ See the green ‘Email When Available’ button on the left side of the screen? That button lets your customers know that the item they are looking at is out of stock. Clicking on that button will lead them to a pop-up screen that asks for an email address (see next screenshot).
8. Customers have the option of choosing color and size preferences (in this case there is only one color) from a drop-down menu. The current stock levels in your store automatically trigger ‘Back in Stock’ notifications, so you don’t have to adjust your inventory or do any additional work.
You can also customize the ‘Back in Stock’ app. It’s possible to add a company logo, change the email response template, integrate the app with MailChimp, and add customers that do sign up for email notifications to your store mailing list (with an opt-in option). The various customization options can be found at the top of the app screen (as pictured above).
Simply choose an option, follow the customization options, and create an email reply that’s tracked, customized, and effective. Some of the possible customization options are shown below.
MailChimp Integration Option
Email Template Option
As Simple As 1,2,8!
That’s it! Nothing more is required on your part. Isn’t it nice to know that the app is taking care of all your back in stock notifications for you? That’s the beauty and simplicity of Shopify!
If you’ve tried out Returnly and it’s not for you, here are a few other apps to consider that help with returns management:
Growth Spark is an award-winning, nationwide team that helps e-commerce companies grow by building unique web experiences that convert visitors into customers. We are proud to be an official Shopify Plus Expert, and can help you grow your e-commerce business. If you’re interested in learning more give us a shout!