It’s that time of the election cycle when a person’s thoughts naturally turn to ideology. On my bike ride home the other day, the jacarandas were in bloom and my reflections on ideology lined themselves up in a list:
- The allure of ideology is undeniable. It offers paint-by-numbers solutions to situations where the lines themselves aren’t clearly drawn.
- No ideology should be treated as more imperative than its impact on living things.
- If you have to keep making exceptions to your ideology for yourself and your loved ones, then your ideology is broken (see #2).
- The way religion is practiced sometimes seems like ideology. I don’t believe it was intended that way.
- When is an algorithm an ideology?
- Think for yourself. Don’t outsource your mind to ideology.
- Bicycle is the opposite of ideology.