Wednesday April 13th !!
As I expected, updates to this blog are getting further and further apart as we dive deeper into the course materials. I think as of end of day today we will be a full week into RAILs !! I am really starting to grok the rails MVC set up, and have been pushing myself to add extra features to our most recent project (Rainforest — an amazon style clone). Todays list of goals are
- to make comments on products only editable by the user that left them
- to move comment display from the main list of items over to the individual item page
- to run through the sass tutorial that we were given as a stretch goal… I havn’t put enough effort into pushing my css skills, so I need to make sure I get on this.
- go back and begin refactoring rainforest to see if I can make the code more elegant
- build another RESTful routes RAILs app from memory
- Get past another level in Ruby Warrior (this is bonus if I get everything else done, but I want to keep developing my ruby skills)
I think the most exciting thing (for me) so far this week, code speaking, happened yesterday afternoon when I was implementing comment editing. I was able to work from the routing table, and trace through the MVC process to see where I needed to add things. It worked so smoothly, and I was so happy when I realized I could use the same view to edit as I could to create a new comment, and that the only difference was in whether I sent it a review instance with an ID or not. This may not seem like a big deal to a seasoned rails developer, and maybe I will laugh at myself when I look back on this in the future, but right now, uncovering this sort of thing has really got me jazzed for this framework