Discover Gullah Cultural Treasures on a Vacation to Hilton Head
Hilton Head is an enthralling island that is home to the authentic treasures of natural beauty and the Gullah culture. It has it all that anyone can ever want to see and experience. The places and activities that you can find here are more than enough for anyone to remain engaged throughout the vacation.
But the actual treasure than Hilton Head and its residents have been preserving from the ever changing world outside is the very precious Gullah Geechee Culture. It is the preserved West African traditions and culture that the Gullah people are preserving here on Hilton Head. The traditions have been passed on to them through language, agriculture, and spirituality.
The Gullah Geechee people are the descendants of enslaved Africans from the various ethnic groups of Central and West African people. These people have retained many aspects of their African heritage due to barriers of the coastal landscape.
The Gullah cultural heritage corridor extends from Wilmington, North Carolina in the north to Jacksonville, Florida in the south. It is the home of the Gullah people in the Carolinas and the Geechee in Georgia and Florida. Both the Gullah and the Geechee people share the same linguistic, artistic, and societal traits that have been able to maintain its authenticity due to the geographical isolation.
The Gullah Geechee cultural heritage is managed by the federal commission which is comprised of local representatives. Through research, education, and interpretation, the corridor aims to preserve and raise awareness about the not as well known culture which is at the same time one of the most unique cultures.
Visitors to the south eastern coast of the country can get the chance to experience the Gullah Geechee culture and heritage by visiting the historic sites through local tours, traditional foods, cultural events, and art galleries.
Other than the cultural heritage, Hilton Head also has got some attractive places that you can visit to make the most of your Hilton Head vacation, some of which are as follows:
- Coligny beach: it is one of the most populated and also the largest beach on Hilton Head. It has got excellent amenities and facilities for the tourists, along with multiple and varied food options to choose from, thus making it very easy and convenient to spend a whole day on the beach.
- Coastal discovery museum: Explore natural history and culture of Hilton Head at this wonderful museum.
- Pinckney island national wildlife refuge: it has got a great collection of about two hundred fifty birds, white tailed deer, bobcats, red foxes, and also plenty of American alligators. It is a very popular destination for those who love to explore and photograph wildlife.
- Harbor town: the harbor town light house is a lighthouse cum museum which carefully preserves the photographs and artifacts of the nineteenth century civil war era.
- Sea pines forest reserve: it is a mysterious forest with secluded lakes and elevated walkways over dark swamps which are resided by the crocodiles. You can explore the forest by walking, or biking on the paths, and enjoy miles of blooming flowers, and the beautiful surroundings.
The above mentioned locations are the must watch places missing any of which will leave you in great loss, but along with these there are also some activities which you must try if you want to add thrill to your vacation:
- Book a Gullah Heritage Trail TOur
- Try a boat cruise to savannah
- Explore the picturesque waterways of Hilton Head.
- Picnic on a sandbar and experience the low country lifestyle
- Join a guided photographic tour along the Hilton head waterways
- Go bird watching
- Explore Daufuskie Island on a golf cart.
- Make friends with the dolphins
- Rent a bike and explore the island riding on the designated bike trails.
Hilton Head is an amazing place visiting which will give you an all in one experience. You will get here the essence of a unique culture combined with the bliss of natural beauty served in a plateful of joy and adventure. So, to get a life enthralling experience, plan a vacation to Hilton Head with your family.