Square 1: Where To Start When Getting Healthy And In Shape
Rule #1: Do not over complicate things or freak out.
Rule #2: Go back to rule #1.
For real though, people make this fitness/healthy thing waaaaayyyy too complicated, and then get panic attack from all the details. This post is targeted for those of you who are at complete square one, having no idea where to start or what to do. This is for you.
- Get Active
- Starting out don’t worry about all the little stuff. It’ll come with time, just get moving.
“How many reps do I do?”
“What is a rep?”
“Is that the same as a set?”
“Machines or free weights?”
“Is this how my feet are supposed to be?”
These questions flood a lot of people’s heads and are reasons why some people quit all together. It’s all about the proper steps. It’s like the whole ‘You have to walk before you can run’ kind of thing. All the details are important, but only at the right time.
So get active. Walk, hike, join a gym, work on some machines, move some free-weights around, just do something.
- Exercise 2–3 days/week
- Your body needs to recover, so when you do exercise it has to be frequent enough for your body to see some consistency. Consistency = your biggest asset. Whatever you do consistently (Good or bad) will always show through. A great training split would be like ‘Monday, Wednesday, Friday’ or ‘Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday’ etc. Don’t do your workout 2 days in a row.
- Eat Healthy
- It’s simple, start to quit eating the bad stuff, and start eating the good stuff. Now, if you are starting from scratch with a really bad diet, don’t completely quit eating all the bad food all at once; start adding the good food first and then begin eliminating the bad. Some other people might disagree with me on this but that’s okay, it’s my blog. :)
In my experience, when people start from complete scratch they can’t cut out all the bad food at once and add all the healthy too. In today’s society, quitting bad nutritional habits can have very similar to drug withdrawal like effects. We’re going for long-term success, not lose 10lbs, gain 10lbs, back and forth game.
- Eat Frequently
- Believe it or not, we need to be eating throughout the whole day. In reality, breakfast/lunch/dinner isn’t enough.
“Wait Jared, I can actually eat and enjoy my life AND get healthy?”
Yes, 10000000% Life is meant to be enjoyed. It’s all about balance. Our bodies are feeding all day, so smaller healthy meals throughout the day can actually cause you to burn more, build more, have more energy, and achieve your goals while maintaining your sanity.
- Drink Water
- “But Jared, I don’t like water, it’s gross.”
Sorry sweetheart, but for your own good the best thing you can do is learn to like it. I promise, keep drinking it and you will. If you are really having issues drinking water try cutting up your favorite fruit and putting it in the water. Just start doing it and it’ll get easier.
- Get your sleep
- Aim at getting 6–8 hours of sleep each night. Sleep is when your body is recovering, burning, building, and changing.
- Stay Positive
- A lot of people look over this one. You could be in the best position in life but if you have a bad attitude, you’ll ultimately fail. A bad attitude won’t give you a great life. Even though you aren’t where you want to be, know where you are going and stay positive even when it gets hard.
Remember, don’t let a bad moment turn into a bad day.
Let me know if you have any questions!