You Are Using Your Phone Wrong
How you and many others are setting up your phone use for catastrophe.
Think of your phone as your everywhere device, because it is.
There are hilarious/horrifying studies out there showing how much we use our phones and how little they leave our side, so how can you have it done correctly?
We have access to millions of apps and websites, but do we need all of it on our home and lock screens, no.
Does This Sound Familiar?
- Widgets you have never used and/or make no sense
- Weird beta apps you wanted to test but never did
- Repetitive apps that both do the same thing
- Weird random websites
- Notification badges anywhere
- And more
Look, if it is going to be with you everywhere, it needs to be just as organised as the things that aren’t in your pocket like your house or documents.
Not Everything Needs To Be Everywhere
Remember, your phone’s job is to make things more accessible, but what is on your phone dictates what gets to be everywhere and what doesn’t.
Let’s go back to basics…
What Is Important To Be Able To Do Anywhere?
- Being able to contact family
- Getting work done
- Staying organized
- Saving moments
- Occupying your time with something productive
- Having non-distracting forms of entertainment (think music and podcasts)
What Can Wait Until Later
- Social Media
But think about the most popular apps and websites for phones right now. It’s all stuff that can wait for later.
So How Can You Have A Better Phone?
Determine what you think is and isn’t important to be accessible anywhere and structure your phone around that.
- Simply screens
- Delete or hide apps that just don’t belong everywhere you go
- Promote the apps that will help you achieve what you want to do