Hiking through Hong Kong: Lung Fu Shan to Victoria Peak
November 3, 2015
When I first came to Hong Kong in 2012, I also took my first steps as a hiker. I decided to go to Victoria Peak, the island’s tallest mountain at 552 meters, through Old Peak Road. It was a windy, torturously steep incline that was unkind to my calves and yet did not bother those of the old ladies beside me.
I forgot to document it at the time, so I thought that this year, it would be good to revisit the Peak and take notes for next time.
This year, I chose to take the Lung Fu Shan path to the Peak, on the west side of the mountain.
- Wherever you begin in Central, start by going up. You can accomplish this in many ways. I chose a combination of going south and west, wasting many footsteps to get to Conduit Road.
- Head west on Conduit Road. Eventually you will reach this intersection, with a trail on the left going up. This is Hatton Road, and will take you up the peak, but I believe it is paved and the most common route.
- To take the road less traveled, cross the intersection and continue heading west on Kotewall Road until you see the public restroom on the right.
- There should be a sign shortly after the public restroom labeled “Pik Shan Path”. Go inside and start following the path.
- At some point you will pass the planting sites of Lung Fu Shan Garden, and reach a crossroads where one path goes to Pokfield Road (or the reservoir), one goes to Hatton Road/The Peak, and one goes to Pinewood Battery (and maybe the Peak). You actually want to take the one south to the road and reservoir so that you can loop around Hong Kong Trail Section 1 to the Harlech Fitness Trail at the peak.
- Once you’re at Harlech, have fun! There are outdoor gyms along the path and it’s all flat. You’re basically at the Peak and ready to switch from hiker to tourist.
- You can take Old Peak Road down. It, too, is by the public restroom.
This was a peaceful, shaded route with a nice view of Victoria Harbor. It involved less pavement and gradation than the Old Peak Road way.