Are you looking for an easy Valentine’s Day activity to do with your child? These paper valentines, inspired by the book Hugs & Kisses for the Grouchy Ladybug, by Eric Carle, are perfect not only for handing out to family and friends this Valentine’s Day, but make for a wonderful afternoon of reading and crafting together too.
- Card stock or scrapbook paper — red, black, blue, white
- Marker or stamps
- Optional: paper punches in heart or round shapes
1. Print a large heart shape (you can find templates online) on a piece of paper to use as a stencil to create the body and wings for your ladybug. You will need to cut out one red and one white heart for each ladybug. An ideal size would be approximately 5 inches from top to bottom.
2. If you do not have a circle cutter, place a drinking glass onto the blue card stock and trace around it. Sketch antennae onto the top of the circle and cut it out.
3. Using glue, attach the bottom of the head to the back of the white heart. Set aside to dry.
4. Fold your red heart in half and cut along the middle seam. Overlap the top of the heart slightly and place it over the body. Very carefully press a needle through the tops of the hearts, and then push the brad through the hole, opening it in the back so that the wings will move.
5. Cut out small black hearts or circles, and glue those onto the wings.
6. Using a black marker, or stamps, add ‘hugs & kisses’ to the inside of your ladybug, and then draw on her face. Even better, use the inside to write personal Valentine messages to friends and family.
Suggest this activity to your child’s teacher for Valentine’s Day. They can read the book, and then the class can create ladybug Valentine’s to take home.
Learn more about Hugs and Kisses for the Grouchy Ladybug
The Grouchy Ladybug, a favorite character for over 40 years!
Perfect for fans of Love from the Hungry Caterpillar, this reminds us that that hugs and kisses truly make the world go ‘round and that we all need love, even when we’re grouchy!
With Eric Carle’s signature bright collage illustrations featuring an array of charming animals, this is the perfect gift for Valentine’s Day, or any time you want to share love with someone special. With its universal message of friendship, this little gift book is perfect for all ages!
Hugs and kisses for the grouchy ladybug will make you smile, clap, and jump for joy!