Importance of Importance
<angry>“This is so damn important why isn’t so and so responding?” </angry>
Does that sound familiar or at least resonate? I am sure this happens to everyone who is reading this at least once a day if not more (and if it doesn’t I WANT to KNOW your secret!!)
Well here is a simple perspective: what’s important to you, does not mean it’s important to the other person…. especially in large organizations where there is process put in place and every function (hate that word) has its goals and KPI’s with deliverables and usually many projects at the same time on people’s plates (hopefully all rolling up to the overall mission of the organization). In addition, some people are just simply happy NOT to take on more “work”, it’s a nuisance to them, they are just rent-seeking
Knowing all that, now try to step into their shoes… and ask yourself some of these questions :
- How do you co-create on this?
- How do you help the other person you are pulling in, to understand why this is important?
- How do you help that person prioritize?
- Can you offer help for things on their plate ?
- Is this truly important to you???
So do YOU know importance of importance ?