Are The Tenants or The Landlord Responsible for The Fire Risk Assessment Of The Premises?

Answer: The Landlord BUT Tenant’s have responsibilities too!

Here are just a few tips to help both Tenants and Landlords to wade through Fire Safety responsibilities.

Tenants responsibility:

  • Smoking

Don’t Smoke in Bed, if your tenancy agreement allows you to smoke in the property use a proper ashtray and don’t leave a lit cigarette lying around. Stub cigarettes out properly and keep matches and lighters out of children’s reach.

  • Cooking

Avoid leaving cooking unattended. Don’t cook if you are tired or have been drinking alcohol. Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you have finished cooking. Check toasters are clean and placed away from anything that can catch Fire. Never use a BBQ indoors or on a balcony.

  • Candles

Candles, incense and oil burners should be held firmly in a heat resistant holder, on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.

Keep these items away from materials that may catch Fire such as curtains, furniture and clothes. Put these items out when you leave the room especially before bed.

  • Portable Heaters and Fires

Secure heaters against a wall to stop them falling over. Keep heaters well away from clothes, curtains and furniture. Always sit at least one meter away from a heater as it could set light to your clothes or chair. Always turn off your heater and allow it to cool before moving it. Change gas heater cylinders in open are. Store spare cylinders upright and outside. Never store them under stairs or in cupboards containing electric meters.

  • Electrics

Only use the charger that came with your phone or mobile device.

Keep electric appliances clean and in good working order. Unplugging appliances and chargers when you are not using them or when you go to bed helps reduce the risk of Fire. Hair straighteners can get extremely hot always switch them off and leave them to cool on a heatproof surface. Don’t overload plug sockets or extension leads if you are not sure what the limit is go the Electrical Safety website and use their calculator click here for more information.

Remember that scorch marks, flickering lights, hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow or circuit-breakers that trip for no obvious reason could be a sign of loose or dangers wiring. If in doubt ask you Landlord to get a qualified electrician to check your wiring.

  • Smoke Alarms

You are responsible for making sure that any Smoke Alarms within your property are tested and working.

  • Fire Doors

Make sure your Fire Doors are maintained and always close them before you go to bed at night

Landlords responsibility:

  • Make sure all gas and electric appliances (that are supplied) are safe and in good working order.
  • Show the Tenant safety certificates so they know when the gas and electrical appliance were tested.
  • Ensure gas appliances are checked by a Gas Safe registered gas fitter every year and Carbon Monoxide Detectors are in place.
  • Make sure that the furniture and furnishings supplied are Fire resistant and meet safety regulations.
  • Landlords should supply Tenants with a Fire Safety Emergency Plan and advise you on how you can access the Fire Safety Risk Assessment for the premise.
  • Provide you with Fire resisting and self closing Front doors, in some cases Emergency Escape Lighting and Fire Alarm systems.
  • Landlords should ensure that escape routes are clearly marked and that there are enough signs to make sure that anyone in the building will know what to do if there is a Fire.
  • Ensure that clear instructions are placed in and around any Lifts to explain what to do if there is a Fire.
  • Ensure that rubbish stores have their doors closed at all times and make sure they are locked so passers-by cant get into them.
  • Ensure that shared stairs, corridors and landings are free of clutter.
  • Supply Tenants with details of any changes to the Fire Safety Emergency Plan.

If you have any Fire Safety doubts the first thing to do is to check the Fire Safety Risk Assessment — every London House in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) or Flat/Apartment must have one — it’s the law!

If there isn’t a Fire Safety Risk Assessment in place its time to find a Fire Safety Consultancy based in London to sort it out! But how do you find one?

If you do an internet search you will find many Fire Protection Services based in London who will offer all kinds of Fire Safety solutions at cheap, cheap prices but are they qualified?

One of the safest places to search for a Fire Risk Assessor in London is the Institution of Fire Engineers. They have a register of Fire Risk Assessors in your area click here to find out more.

Once you have appointed your qualified Fire Risk Assessor a Fire Safety Inspection will be carried out to identify any Fire Safety deficiencies within your premise. A detailed report will be compiled and Significant Findings identified. As part of the Fire Risk Assessment package you should receive a Fire Safety Management Plan — Significant Findings, Fire Safety Policy and a Fire Safety Emergency Plan so don’t pay anymore it should all be included in the package price.

London Fire Risk Assessments are a member of the Institution of Fire Engineers and because they are not affiliated to any Fire Protection Services they can offer unbiased Fire Safety advice. If you would like to talk to one of our friendly team call 0189 890879 or click here to make contact.