eCommerce EMAIL DEEP DIVE series: Checkout Abandonment (4 of 10)
You’re one nudge away from making a sale!
This is it! This is really is it!
This sequence, along with cart abandonment, are your real money makers.
Starting checkout means “I really, really, really want to buy this. But I either I got distracted or something stopped me from following through.”
As a strategist and copywriter, your job is to figure out why people abandoned checkout.
Shipping fees? Confusing checkout process? Limited payment options? Figure that out and drop that info to your strategy and copy.
What makes this email great?
- Dynamic blocks to show cart items
- Useful copy
- No cheesy we miss you stuff
Seriously, it doesn’t have to be dramatic (unless it’s on-brand, of course).
How to do it
One SMS and Three Emails:
(Definitely use SMS if you have the option — send one before email #1).
- SMS #1 — Activate within 1–2 hours of abandonment. Link to responsive checkout.
- Email #1 — Activate 3–4 hours of abandonment. Encourage reader to finish checkout. Address possible source of friction. Highlight buy now, pay later options, etc.
- Email #2 — Send a day after Email #1. Give offer, if available. Address possible source of friction.
- Email #3 — Last email with offer — 24 hours left (from offer in Email #2)
- Complete your order
- Finish checkout
Personalization is your best friend here. Show the items in your reader’s cart, make recommendations based off of items in cart, etc.
Make sure you link to the responsive checkout cart so your reader can pick up where they left off, regardless of device.
Read this post and more on my Typeshare Social Blog