2017 Digital & Content Marketing Predictions for Southeast Asia
Intro] Anticipating Audiences Needs in 2017
As 2017 picks up steam it’s time to reflect on tends impacting digital marketing in the region. For your brand to succeed, it’s no longer a matter of staying ahead of your competition. Your focus should be on anticipating audience needs instead — which content marketing is well suited to meet.
The digital landscape in Asia Pacific in particular is constantly shifting and finding creative ways to engage online buyers can keep any marketer up at night. So it’s no surprise that content marketing is a key solution given its audience-focused merits.
Combined with savvy digital distribution tactics, content marketing will be a big part of winning strategies in the coming year. Whether you’re a seasoned content marketer or you’re starting to feel left behind, LinkedIn has analysed the trends and put together these tips as a highlights reel to help inform your plans for 2017.
Prediction One] Businesses will hire people with content marketing skill sets
63% of business planned to increase content production in 2016
70% of marketers felt their content marketing efforts were limited to basic
Prediction Two] Marketers will include upper-funnel metrics to measure content marketing effectiveness
Content marketing performance metrics used by B2B marketing professional worldwide
1) 86% sales conversions
2) 80% number of leads
3) 72% quality of leads
4) 52% website traffic
5) 46% cost savings /marketing ROI
6) 33% brand awareness / social shares / media mentions
7) 29% SEO ranking
Prediction Three] B2B marketers will invest in multi-touch attribution models
56% of SEA marketers do not use any attribution model
Top three reasons prevention adoption of attribution tracking by APAC countries:
1) 55% lack of knowledge
2) 45% lack of time
3) 39% technology limitation
Prediction Four] Video content will be tailored to fit the buyer’s journey
Most effective video ad types by buyer’s journey stage:
Hong Kong 63% (search & discover) | 23% (trigger purchase interest)
Singapore 25% (trigger product interest)
Indonesia 56% (trigger product interest) | 57% (trigger purchase intent)
Malaysia 37% (search & discover) | 40% (trigger purchase interest)
Prediction Five] Marketers will gain control of customer engagement with social channels
Only 1 in 3 marketers feel in control of customer touchpoints
Prediction Six] Snapchat will change the way B2B marketers create content
Snapchat trends shaping content production in the future:
1) Exclusive, visible in-the-moment, temporary content
3) Hybrid user-generated content and brand messaging
4) New ways to express yourself
Prediction Seven] Fifty-three per cent of marketers are optimistic about the future of augmented reality
Product developers who are more optimistic about the long-term future of augmented vs. virtual reality
53.7% augment reality
33.7% virtual reality
12.6% not sure
Prediction Eight] B2B brands will increase visual storytelling, specifically via infographics
Linkedin members’ likelihood to engage with infographic.
58% of Philippine members
46% of Malaysia members
45% of Singapore members
38% of Thailand members
36% of Indonesia members
34% of Hong Kong members
Prediction Nine] B2B brand messaging will feel more authentic and less intrusive
Top types of content shared on social channels by country
Philippine — 22% (inspirational) | 21% (education / instructional)
Malaysia — 24% (funny / entertaining) | 18% (inspirational)
Singapore — 27% (funny / entertaining) | 16% (inspirational)
Thailand — 22% (inspirational) | 21% (education / instructional)
Indonesia — 23% (funny / entertaining) | 22% (news)
Hong Kong — 22% (personal status) | 20% (funny / entertaining)
Prediction Ten] Personalised distribution tactics will increase the need for content
Internet users who receive personalised marketing content by channel
Malaysia — 70% (email) Vs 75% (social media)
Singapore — 80% (email) Vs 59% (social media)
Thailand — 61% (email) Vs 68% (social media)
Indonesia — 70% (email) Vs 71% (social media)
Hong Kong — 81% (email) Vs 74% (social media)
Conclusion] Checklist for developing 2017 marketing strategies
1) Start the process early so you have time to circulate your plan with cross-function teams, especially with sales leadership, and to iterate based on business needs. On average, give yourself at least three months.
2) Involve business operations and map marketing objectives back to the sales and product goals. Make sure you are aligned with revenue projections and the product roadmap.
3) Review previous campaign performance. Look for opportunities to improve and for trend lines to predict future performance or messaging fatigue.
4) Don’t make assumptions. Become an expert on the competitive landscape and conduct customer research.
5) All objectives must have a measurable way to determine success
6) Plan for pivots and be ready to change.
7) Line up vendors or experts to help create content.
8) Have a ‘venture bet’ to insure your team is not doing the same thing each year this could be something as simple as testing video content or bigger like launching your business in a new market.
Source: 2017 Digital & Content Marketing Predictions for Southeast Asia, LinkedIn Sales & Marketing