Five Fun Food Tips for SXSW 2017
The Forrest Four-Cast: March 1, 2017
What makes your SXSW experience in Austin even more special? The many tasty food options to choose from before, during and after all the opportunities for learning, networking and discovery. Five such options to keep in mind as you plan for the upcoming event are as follows.
- Cross-Conference Networking Lunches. A new addition to the 2017 lineup, these meet-and-eat get-togethers allow you to make new career-enhancing connections in a casual and relaxed venue that is just a few blocks west of the Austin Convention Center. Scheduled March 10–11. Separate add-on ticket required.
- Food Track Programming. 40+ sessions that cover the current intersection of technology and cuisine. Speakers in this track range from Vivian Barad (IDEO) to Jenna Bush Hager (NBC News) to Kimbal Musk (the Kitchen) to Mariam Parker (Austin Food & Wine Alliance). Consider it nutrition for your brain! Scheduled March 11–13.
- SouthBite Dinners. Every year at SXSW, world-renowned chefs descend upon Austin to share their masterful skills in the kitchen with a small group of SXSW attendees. Called SouthBite Dinners, these special events offer multi-course dining experiences in unforgettable settings. For 2017, chefs include José Andrés (pictured above), Michael Chernow, Kevin Fink, Aaron Franklin, Naomi Pomeroy and Andrew Wiseheart. Scheduled Saturday, March 11 and Monday, March 13. Separate add-on ticket required — buy now because both sessions are nearing capacity.
- SouthBites Trailer Park. Heading into its fifth season, the SouthBites® Trailer Park presented by Avocados From Mexico is excited to host the best roving restaurants from Texas and across the US! Each new year welcomes back noteworthy SouthBites alum, but also showcases rising names in the ever-expanding food truck industry. Located at the corner of Driskill and Rainey Streets. Scheduled March 10–18.
- SXSW Taco Meet Up. Why deny it? You can never ever get enough of the semi-official food of March Magic in Austin. Attendees at this Meet Up / Meat Up can sample from five of the city’s finest taco makers. Vegetarian varieties will also be available. Scheduled Friday, March 17. Separate add-on ticket required.
Badges are still available for SXSW 2017 — click here to purchase. After you buy your badge, start connecting with other creatives from across the US and around the world via SXSW Social. Also, watch this short video to better understand the improved access for the 2017 event.
Hugh Forrest tries to write four paragraphs per day on Medium. These posts generally cover technology-related trends. When not attempting to wordsmith or meditating, he serves as Chief Programming Officer at SXSW in Austin.