Home Remedies for Oral Thrush
What is oral thrush?
Oral Thrush or scientifically called Oropharyngeal Candidiasis, is the medical condition in which your tongue or the inner side of your mouth is infected by a type of fungus known as Candida Albicans.
This medical condition happens due to the weakening of your immune system which cannot fight against the outgrowth of the fungus.
The symptom of this infection can be easily observed as there are wounds with creamy-white color slowly appearing and the position is often on the tongue and the inner side of your cheeks and lips. If the infection is not stopped promptly, it will spread throughout the whole inner side of your mouth and even down to the back of your throat.
Further symptoms for confirming the infection can be swelling, soreness with a burning sensation and unpleasant taste which affect swallowing ability.
This type of infection spares no one; however, common victims are infants and elderly people who have weak immune system and especially people with dentures.
What causes oral thrush?
The major condition for oral thrush to occur is because of weaken immune system and there are quite a few factors which contribute to a weak immunity such as:
- HIV/AIDS: The HIV which cause AIDS is also responsible for damaging immunity cells, thus make your body prone to other infections and diseases.
- Cancer: The chemotherapy and radiation from cancer treatment can significantly weaken your immune system and make you more vulnerable toward infections such as oral thrush.
- Diabetes mellitus: It is when your diabetes is getting severe or uncontrollable, the increasing level of sugar in your saliva will create advantage environment for oral thrush to occur.
- Vaginal yeast infection: It is caused be the same bacteria of oral thrush. Also in case you are pregnant and infected, your children will more likely to get infected by the bacteria and develop oral thrush.
On the other hand, there are few simple and effective home remedies which you might consider applying in order to relieve the pain as well as preventing oral thrush in case you are infected.
Here are the top 10 most effective home remedies for oral thrush which you can easily apply at home in order to get rid of oral thrush and prevent the bacteria from infecting you ever again…
Salt is considered one of the top home remedies for oral thrush as it helps destroying the habitat of the fungus. Also, in case of infection, salt can reduce the symptoms and be a quick cure.
- Dilute ½ to 1 teaspoon of salt with 1 cup of warm water. Gargle using this water and repeat until the symptoms are reduced and you feel comfortable.
- Use your fingers to gently apply some salt on your tongue and rub it for a few seconds. Then rinse your mouth using warm water. Repeat it twice every day for a couple of days.
For more information about the benefits and applications of salt for oral health, please read: Home Remedies for Periodontitis.
Probiotic yogurt is said to be harboring active type of lactobacilli which is effective as a natural treatment for oral thrush. Also, only use the type of plain or unsweetened yogurt for best treatment of oral thrush.
- Consume 2 to 3 cups of yogurt every day for a couple of weeks.
- Use your finger to apply some yogurt onto your tongue and the inner side of your mouth and keep it for 5 to 10 minutes. Then rinse your mouth using warm water. Repeat it once or twice every day for a couple of days.
Garlic is best known as one of the best home remedies for oral thrush due to its anti-fungal capability which can help destroying bacteria and yeast inside your mouth and further boosting up your immune system.
According to the Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy journal (2005), the study about garlic has shown promising result regarding the anti-fungal capability of extracted fresh garlic.
- Consume 2 to 3 cloves of garlic on a daily basis in order to ward off the infection. If you cannot take fresh garlic, then there is garlic concentrated into tablets or capsules but should be taken carefully with doctor’s consultation.
- Garlic is also proven to be extremely effective against diseases related to oral health. You can find out more about it at: Home Remedies for Blisters on Tongue.
Cinnamon is similar to garlic in its anti-fungal as well as anti-parasitic capability against the Candida Albicans.
The Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine has published the result of the study about the positive effects and curative impacts of cinnamon oil regarding treatment for oral thrush infection.
Consume 1 to 2 cups of cinnamon tea on a daily basis. First step, boil ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder or simply a little cinnamon stick with 1½ cups of water for about 5 minutes. Filter and consume with or without lemon juice depending on your preference.
Mix a few drops of cinnamon into 1 tablespoon of olive oil or any other substance. Directly apply this solution onto the wounds and keep it there for 5 to 10 minutes then wash your mouth. Repeat this every day for a couple of days.
Tags: home remedies for oral thrush. how to get rid of oral thrush, natural treatment for oral thrush, natural remedies for oral thrush.
Read More : Home Remedies for Oral Thrush